Welcome to the APBWeb.
    FishTail Guest

Officers investigated over e-mail

Police officers and staff who allegedly circulated an e-mail image of a decapitated black man are being investigated, it has been revealed.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) has been brought into the supervise the investigation, which involves Hertfordshire Police officers.

The force's own IT monitoring systems picked up the suspect e-mail.

On Wednesday Herts Police said its professional standards department would investigate the matter.

The e-mail reportedly contains a series of images, one of which shows the head of a black man who dies after jumping on to metal railings during a police chase. It is captioned: "Don't run from the police."

'Robust investigation'

It is unclear if the e-mail is real or fake, but it is thought to have originated in the United States.

In a statement Hertfordshire Police said: "A wide-ranging and robust investigation is being conducted into the receipt, and subsequent distribution within the organisation, of a potentially offensive e-mail image.

"The inquiry was launched after an inappropriate image was sent to officers and staff within the organisation and, in a number of instances, distributed on by officers and staff to colleagues within the constabulary.

"The matter has been voluntarily referred to the IPCC, who have elected to supervise the investigation."

'No room for this'

Deputy Chief Constable Simon Ash described the e-mail attachment as "wholly inappropriate" and said it would not be tolerated.

"This e-mail attachment contravenes our organisational values and standards and there is absolutely no room in this constabulary for this type of communication," he said.

"There are a number of individuals who have allegedly forwarded this message to others and it is those officers and staff who are the main focus of our attention."

Det Sgt Alicia Moore, chair of the Hertfordshire Black Police Association, added: "The inquiry team has consulted closely with us since the beginning of this investigation and, to date, we are satisfied with the course of action that is being taken."

BBC News

1. Would it be ok if it was a decapitated white man?

2. Why do they feel the need to consult with the Black Police Association?

MonsterMash is offline Proud 3%er
    Quote Originally Posted by LongTail
    but it is thought to have originated in the United States.
    Why's it always gotta be *our* fault? hahahahaha
    Are you a 3%er? If you aren't, you should be.

MisterK is offline Monkey Man
    I'm gonna guess it was this.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I've seen that passed around tons of times.

kdm0409 is offline ^ Female Deputy
    That came through an e-mail of mine at the other department, I thought it was fake. We all looked at it then deleted it. Guess we could have been in trouble huh?
    It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.
    ______________________________ __________
    An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break.
    In vino veritas!

Operator13 is offline Just Another Voice
    Quote Originally Posted by kdm0409
    That came through an e-mail of mine at the other department, I thought it was fake. We all looked at it then deleted it. Guess we could have been in trouble huh?
    I saw it through another site, not sure which one.

I have heard that it was a true story though- even Snopes confirmed.

I'll see if i can find it.

EDIT: Very easy to find on Snopes. I'm not going to post the link becasue it is EXTREAMLY GRAPHIC. This is not something you want to see.
    Last edited by Operator13; 05-11-06 at 09:41 AM.
    "The statements and opinions contained in this communication do not necessarily reflect the official position of the Commission regarding these issues."

MisterK is offline Monkey Man
    Heh.. look 3 posts up.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Operator13 is offline Just Another Voice
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterK
    Heh.. look 3 posts up.

Sorry, didn't see that was a LINK, still rubbing the sleepies out of my eyes.
    "The statements and opinions contained in this communication do not necessarily reflect the official position of the Commission regarding these issues."

kdm0409 is offline ^ Female Deputy
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterK
    Heh.. look 3 posts up.

Lol... You were quicker than me.. I was about to tell Operator to look at you post. That would have freaked me out if I was the one chasing that guy!
    It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.
    An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break.
    In vino veritas!

Thread Information