Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Reca is offline Administrator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Owner
    Blog Entries

Police 'Tank' Purchase Riles New Hampshire Town

We're going to have our own tank." Keene, N.H., Mayor Kendall Lane whispered to Councilman Mitch Greenwood during a December city council meeting.
    It's not quite a tank. But the quaint town of 23,000 -- scene of just two murders since 1999 -- had just accepted a $285,933 grant from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to purchase a Bearcat, an eight-ton armored personnel vehicle made by Lenco Industries Inc.
    But those plans are on hold for now, thanks to a backlash from feisty residents. Resistance began with Mike Clark, a 27-year-old handyman. Clark, who said he's had a couple encounters with Keene police and currently faces a charge of criminal mischief, read about the Homeland Security grant in the newspaper. "The police are already pretty brutal," Clark said, claiming he was roughed up in both his encounters with local police. "The last thing they need is this big piece of military equipment to make them think they're soldiers."
    Clark's father, Terry Clark, is on the Keene City Council, and so far the only council member to publicly oppose the Bearcat. But Mike Clark said he knows how the council works. "They can pass these things without any public discussion," Clark said. "And you don't hear about them until they've already passed. But if you collect enough signatures, you can force them to reconsider the motion." Clark did just that, collecting more than 500 signatures opposing the Bearcat.
    More than 100 people packed a Feb. 9 meeting of a city council committee, nearly all to oppose equipping the police deaprtment, with about 45 sworn officers, with a Bearcat. One speaker quoted in the Keene Sentinel was Roberta Mastrogiovanni, owner of a newsstand downtown. “It promotes violence,” Mastrogiovanni said. “We should promote more human interaction rather than militarize. I refuse to use money for something this unnecessary when so many people in our community are in need.”
    Since the 1990s, the Pentagon has made military equipment available to local police departments for free or at steep discounts. This, along with drug war-related policies, has spurred a trend toward a more militarized domestic police force in America. Law enforcement and elected officials have argued for years that better-armed, high-powered police departments are needed to fight the war on drugs.
    Since the Sept. 11 attacks, the war on terror has accelerated the trend toward militarization. Homeland Security hands out anti-terrorism grants to cities and towns, many specifically to buy military-grade equipment from companies like Lenco. In December, the Center for Investigative Reporting reported that Homeland Security grants totalled $34 billion, and went to such unlikely terrorism targets as Fargo, N.D.; Fon du Lac, Wisc.; and Canyon County, Idaho. The report noted that because of the grants, defense contractors that long served the Pentagon exclusively have increasingly turned looked to police departments, hoping to tap a "homeland security market" expected to reach $19 billion by 2014.

Article taken from Breaking News and Opinion on The Huffington Post Click Police 'Tank' Purchase Riles New Hampshire Town
    Here to read the rest of the story!
    Check your feelings at the door!

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Reca" on Officerresource.com

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I don't have a pending charge of criminal mischief and even I'm asking why.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

213th is offline Solipsist
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    I don't have a pending charge of criminal mischief and even I'm asking why.
    Me too. I grew up not terribly far from Keene. I don't see the practicality of this for the town. New York City, LA? Maybe, but I can't see any use for Keene to have this. Other then to spend the grant money.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Is it really a regional purchase? Is Keene going to house & care for it -- but will it really be used by all the agencies in the area, like as gear for a regional SWAT unit?
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    if the bearcat was used to support many agencies and be available for more than a city of 23000 then i would not be apposed to it because it it were to be used by the county and adjacent counties, then it could be a great tool to have especially if it was a grant and not the city flipping the bill to buy it.
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    Is it really a regional purchase? Is Keene going to house & care for it -- but will it really be used by all the agencies in the area, like as gear for a regional SWAT unit?
    we looked into applying for this grant to get one to share with all the agencies in our county, but i guess it never happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    We have one and Seattle has two....they work great for ruffing up folks on traffic stops who also commit criminal mischiief.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post
    We have one and Seattle has two....they work great for ruffing up folks on traffic stops who also commit criminal mischiief.

Car 4
    "That dude has a suspended license...CALL OUT THE BEARCAT!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    A bearcat isn't a tank... jeez. Mount a 75 on it, maybe...

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    The questions I do have come too close to tactics to ask, but I do have a thought on this.

Oh what a cute widdle buggy. Yup, another hyperbole fail. Tank not found, and when I went to the site looking for something tank-like that's how my exceptions were met. Those opposed have a couple views worth discussion, and that conversation could have been long and productive enough to cover what they're misinformed about too, but by shouting TANK at the start all hope of reasonable talk was lost.

Or in other words, another Thursday down the drain.

213th is offline Solipsist
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    I didn't think of that, but really, Keene is the largest town except concord in the area.

It's not even on the interestate system

Google Maps
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    We got one with the same grant. I'm not sure, but I think the county SO can also use it on their SWAT call-outs, but Im not sure if they have one of their own.

I do know that the smaller area agencies can request that our SWAT guys respond in it. My department has just under 700 sworn, and the SO has about 150 road deputies. I think the next largest department in the county has 35 or so.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    If they don't want it give it to us.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I say go ahead and buy one. It can be used to predict the coming of spring, just like Punxsutawney Phil.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I am deeply concerned and even offended when I see Brinks or Wells Fargo minimum wage security guards driving armored trucks. The police? Give them M1A1's.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Our SWAT team has wanted a Bearcat for a while. Nevermind that they've only been activated once or twice in the 9 years I've worked here. I think they want it so that other agencies can use it if needed. They could require one or two of our guys be deployed to drive it any time an agency requests it. There's only one other agency in the area with one and that's what they do.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post

Car 4
    Hahaha!!!
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Bjohnson63 is offline King of the Shit Bucket
    Verified LEO
    All of the bigger cities in Wisconsin got one on this grant. Including the city of 50,000 nearby. We have used it on our ERT calls 3 times since I have been on the team. Also a few years back, three were brought in for a two day stand off resulting in the biggest shoot out in Wisconsin history. The bearcat was struck twice in the front windshield, and stopped a 300 win mag that would have hit the front passenger. The bearcats will go whereever they are needed. In that incident, the nearest of the three bearcats was 60 miles away. The point is, you never know, and so long as it is shared with other jurisdictions, it shouldn't be a problem.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bayern View Post
    I say go ahead and buy one. It can be used to predict the coming of spring, just like Punxsutawney Phil.

How can anyone be concerned about something so adorable?

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjohnson63 View Post
    All of the bigger cities in Wisconsin got one on this grant. Including the city of 50,000 nearby. We have used it on our ERT calls 3 times since I have been on the team. Also a few years back, three were brought in for a two day stand off resulting in the biggest shoot out in Wisconsin history. The bearcat was struck twice in the front windshield, and stopped a 300 win mag that would have hit the front passenger. The bearcats will go whereever they are needed. In that incident, the nearest of the three bearcats was 60 miles away. The point is, you never know, and so long as it is shared with other jurisdictions, it shouldn't be a problem.
    I was just going to reference that shooting.

I see no problem with it. Why not equip your department as best you can?

Our SWAT has, essentially, a home made bearcat/armored vehicle. They've probably been using it for 20 yrs. It's tired. I know they're looking into getting a bearcat, but the price tag is tough to swallow.

And like countybear said...it's not a tank.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Thread Information