Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Female officers are still cops

Female officers must cope with dangers of profession | The Augusta Chronicle

Another article from a local paper, this one focusing on female officers and the different situations they face.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    For some reason that article bugged the crap out of me. Plan the parties? Mother hen? And I'm not sure the boys would be more upset if I got shot. I appreciate the idea of the article but I'm not sure it made the point I think it was intending to make.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    “We play a little different role within the department,” Thomas said.
    This is the main problem with the general mentality of viewing females as officers. If *anyone* wishes to be a law enforcement officer then that is the only "role" that should be played.

They took one look at her and decided they could take her.
    I personally know a couple of female officers with whom this would be a drastic mistake on a perpetrators part.
    On the flip side of that same coin I know and am familiar with officers of both genders that can't handle this job. I do not have a female on my shift and the department only has one female patrol officer. I wish we had more.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quoting an earlier post of mine from last year... I think its appropriate. This is from March of 2011, and was in response to a thread posted questioning whether it was natural for female police officers to be assumably lesbian just because she is a cop (that thread here):

Lady cops have it rough. You show me one that can hack a law enforcement career for any length of time, and I'll show you one who I admire more than the average Jane.

The lady cop has to be both a lady and a cop, which in and of itself is a feat of miraculous proportions. In a male dominated career, she has to toe the line against the same assbags that her usually larger, stronger male counterparts have to, and every day, she has to prove her worth without giving quarter and getting taken for granted, and without being patronized by both civilians and her fellow cops alike. Its like competing with a handicap; like running a race with a weightbelt and a bungee cord around the waist. Legitimately, she has to work harder, stand firmer, and exhibit a level of emotional control which often even forces her to defy a common natural compulsion to nurture. She has to be "it" on the street. Her male counterparts sometimes misunderstand her irritation when they come in like gangbusters to back her up on every parking ticket she writes, and she has to give them a demure grin and shake her head quietly instead of asking them why they don't do that with one another instead of just her. She has to take a lot in stride, but hold a lot inside, and to be honest, that is contrary to human nature for all of us in this profession, both male and female.

then...

When she is off the job, she still has to be a lady... and that's a task in and of itself. On the street she's surronded by the seven unholies (think George Carlin's famous list of words you can't say on network TV), and if she drops a string of F-bombs in street clothes, she gets jaws dropping around her like a summer rain. If she's married, she has to gracefully allow her mates ego to remain unbruised when honestly she is perfectly capable of most of the traditional male roles in the family. Truth is, she wants to feel like a lady at home, she cherishes the ability to actually be vulnerable and deeply emotional, but hell, how many guys can really take the anxiety of knowing that his wife straps on a gun and goes looking for trouble at night, when in his (read into this -- traditional) family, it is held that the MAN is the MAN... Its an emotional tightwire act that would make the flying Walendas gasp.

Perhaps lady cops really sometimes think its easier to be thought of as homosexual, than to be resented as a female challenging the stereotypical male roles in society. Either way, I salute the lady cops. I can't honestly tell you how deeply I respect each and every one of them. Statistically, they suffer even worse than us egobags do, emotionally, physically, and especially in their personal relationships. Now I don't give much a hoot for a dainty, squeaky-voiced lady cop whose afraid to get her hands dirty. They are about as useful as a Tokyo microwave, but those kinds don't usually make it long on the street anyway before they roll out or are transferred to administrative duties, but the lady streetcop? That's a divine creature indeed.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Female officers bring a range of talents and abilities to the job just like male officers. Some of those are inherent to being female within our culture; some are simply the result of their personality. Some make it harder for them to be effective; some make them more effective. What bothered me about the article (and the attitude some people in general take) is the assumption within it that female officers are anything other than that: female officers. If they get stuck doing the party planning, gift collections, etc. -- that's their own fault for accepting it or because they actually choose to do it, not because they're female.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    Sorry, but that article pissed me off. The article does nothing to clearly illustrate the challenges women in law enforcement face. (Silly me, to expect in-depth reporting. )

Once again, very well said, CB! When I was first getting on the job, I was told that "women have to work twice as hard to be (perceived) half as good." After 20+ years, I hate to admit that often seemed to be true. Those of you who know me, know I am not one to pull the gender card but I cannot deny it had an impact on my career. I still recall overhearing the whispers in the next room in the station at my last department, just after I was on my own, and had assisted another officer in a fight (the struggle with the suspect started just as I was getting out of my cruiser). I heard the guys ask the primary officer, "What did she do when she got there?" When the officer said, "She jumped right in, no hesitation," I heard comments like, "Really?", and "Wow, didn't expect that!" And while I went on to continually gain the respect of my peers there, I must also acknowledge that I worked for some very biased individuals who went out of their way to make life difficult for me, up to the very end. I knew there were certain assignments I would never get because those in control wouldn't allow it.

I'm offended by the comment that it would be harder for a department / shift to lose a female officer. I'd like to believe that, had I been killed in the line of duty, my "family" in the brotherhood would be impacted not because of my gender, but because of the human interaction and hopefully positive impact I'd made in their lives.

I can tell you of one instance where gender impacted my decision to pursue an assignment. When the DARE position came available, several of my peers said I should apply - not because of my gender, but because of my passion for education and working with kids and the community. I struggled with the decision and sought advice from a trusted friend who'd known me from our previous departments at the start of our careers, and who was now a Lt. in the same department. He thought I'd be perfect for the assignment but I told him I was terrified of taking an "admin-type" of job that people would assume I chose or was "given" because of my gender. He said I'd already proven myself to those who really mattered and reminded me that those small-minded people who talk smack would continue to do so, regardless of the choices I made. I submitted my memo and resume at the very last hour and was blessed to be selected. The Lt. was right; the small minds continued to be small minds, but I was later richly rewarded in knowing I made a valuable impact on my community.

Off the job, the bias never ceases to amaze me. Isn't it interesting that a man's sexuality isn't even a thought, but a female cop who exudes any sort of "toughness" must be a lesbian? (Not that there's anything wrong with being a lesbian, lol.) Just because I happen to be a female who is capable of taking on traditionally male tasks does not mean I am a threat to the male roles in life. Off-duty, yes, I want very much to be treated like a woman. I want you to open doors for me; I want you to be the man. Male officers have women swooning - "You're a cop? Oh, you're so big and strong! (*sigh*)" Yet, I tell a potential date what I do for a living and (generally if he's a civilian) the response often a complete change in attitude and questions about my gun(s) and don't I "get scared working alone", followed by similar ignorant statements. Let's just say it's a challenge finding a man who's emotionally strong enough to accept a female who happens to have chosen a career as a law enforcement officer as his significant other.

Ok, now that I'm all fired up, I better hit the road or I'll be late for Mass....

The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolven View Post
    For some reason that article bugged the crap out of me. Plan the parties? Mother hen? And I'm not sure the boys would be more upset if I got shot. I appreciate the idea of the article but I'm not sure it made the point I think it was intending to make.
    Some of us would be very upset if you got shot
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    Some of us would be very upset if you got shot
    Yah but not soley because I'm female.

(and you don't count lol)
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Thread Information