Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Mayor of small South Carolina town sneaks into town hall to change locks and take over town's checkbook, then pulls over state trooper three weeks later

In the two decades since Jim Preacher arrived in rural Norway, he's been this tiny town's police chief, self-proclaimed constable and now the mayor. He's pulled over a state trooper who wrote him a speeding ticket, and sneaked into town hall before he was sworn in so he could change the locks and take over the town's checkbook.
    Preacher, 66, half-heartedly apologizes for bringing bad publicity to the town of only 337 people. But he also left no doubt he has big plans to try to save Norway, which hasn't written a budget in years, has lost so much revenue it had to disband its police department, and currently uses Preacher to read meters and run its water system.
    Less than three weeks later, a state trooper said he stopped Preacher because he was speeding just outside of town limits in Norway's old police car. On the trooper's video of the stop, Preacher can be heard saying he is the town's constable and was investigating a man with a gun at a convenience store. The trooper notes Norway disbanded its police department and issues the ticket for going 70 mph in a 55 mph zone anyway.
    But when the highway patrolman pulled away, Preacher flipped on his blue lights and pulled over the trooper, threatening to charge him with interfering with a police officer. The trooper called his supervisor, who is heard on the tape saying, "I know it's aggravating. I know exactly who you are dealing with."
    More here: The Associated Press: SC mayor sneaks into town hall, pulls over trooper

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I was just about to post this. Welcome to my state, I wish I could say this kind of idiot was an endangered species here.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    That guy is an idiot. I would be curious as to his probable cause to stop the trooper.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    What an ass.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    But when the highway patrolman pulled away, Preacher flipped on his blue lights and pulled over the trooper, threatening to charge him with interfering with a police officer. The trooper called his supervisor, who is heard on the tape saying, "I know it's aggravating. I know exactly who you are dealing with."
    And then told the trooper to arrest preacher for impersonating a police officer. ( I can see this happening here)
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    Would they be considered Norwegians?
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Nah, in addition to Norway, we have a town called Bamberg (germany), and would you believe;, Coward; Due West; Welcome (I guess if your not a Yankee), Wisacky, and one of my favorates, South.

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    Quote Originally Posted by bayern View Post
    Nah, in addition to Norway, we have a town called Bamberg (germany), and would you believe;, Coward; Due West; Welcome (I guess if your not a Yankee), Wisacky, and one of my favorates, South.
    They struggled with original place names then
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I've always been fond of Ninety Six, SC; Elgin (because they're two of them); and there is a small area near me called Petticoat Junction.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Since he's no longer certified to be a LEO, can he just self appoint himself "town constable" like that?

Around these parts he can't. I'd say he deserves a trip to jail for impersonating a police officer.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    Since he's no longer certified to be a LEO, can he just self appoint himself "town constable" like that?

Around these parts he can't. I'd say he deserves a trip to jail for impersonating a police officer.
    While I agree, I think the trooper handled it exactly right. Stop so you don't get in the news over a "car chase", refuse the ticket, and call your supervisor so the higher-ups can handle it.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Thread Information