Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

Random attacker severely beats Plainfield cop, chased away by Good Samaritan

PLAINFIELD —Police Officer Israel Valentin has been patrolling the streets of Plainfield for three decades — longer than any other rank-and-file officer on the force. He’s badge No. 1, and he’s seen his share of violence in the Queen City.

But nothing, authorities say, could have prepared him for what happened Sunday afternoon, when he met Andre Henderson, a 5-foot-10 inch, 250-pound convict wanted in two Union County towns.

What followed was a scene of horror and heroism, police and a witness said today. Henderson was screaming "I’m going to punch you in the mouth!" as walked toward the officer, according to one passing witness. He did just that, police said.

"Are you looking for me?" a clearly upset Henderson asked the officer as he stood next to his patrol car on the 200-block Watchung Avenue, according to police.

"No, I don’t know who you are," the 60-year-old officer replied.

That’s when Henderson let loose, punching Valentin in the head, knocking him to the ground and kicking him repeatedly, said Capt. Ed Santiago, a Plainfield police commander. It was a sight, he said, that left onlookers stunned and too terrified to intervene.

One woman tried to help, parking her car to shield Valentin from vehicles that couldn’t see him in the road, where the beating continued, police said.

Then came one man who’s been hailed as a good Samaritan and a hero by those in law enforcement. The North Plainfield resident, driving by with his wife, three children and a dog in the car, saw Henderson stomping on the police officer, authorities said.

"The good Samaritan’s wife said: ‘Stop, stop, you have to help the officer,’" Santiago said.

And the man, who hasn’t been identified publicly, did just that. He grabbed a baseball bat out of his trunk and approached the attacker, hitting him in the back four or five times, said Carlos Cancel, a 48-year-old Piscataway man who also witnessed the 4:30 p.m attack and who’s also being praised for his intervention.
    Valentin was left with broken ribs and serious wounds to his head and body. He’s been at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick since the incident, and he was listed in good condition last night.
    Random attacker severely beats Plainfield cop, chased away by Good Samaritan

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Wow. You've got to stay on your toes. I hope the officer is ok.

Early one Sunday morning we had an officer stop by a convenience store for coffee. A guy approached him in the parking lot and asked for a ride into another town. When the officer said no, the guy cold-cocked him. The officer was able to call for help during the fight. It just happened that the SWAT team was about 100 yards away behind a building getting ready for a search warrant. Needless to say the BG was taken down and there were only minor injuries to the officer.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    It is nice to know there still are good people in this world to counteract the bad. I wish this asshat would have came after me like that instead of a 60 year old. A true coward and predator.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Broke Hoss is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Great job by the "Good Samaritan"! Sounds like he did a good job with the tools he had available; shame he didn't have firearm.
    Blessed are the the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. MATT 5:10

cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I hope the officer has a quick recovery.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    I wish this asshat would have came after me like that instead of a 60 year old. A true coward and predator.
    This.

Incidentally, I thought traditionally badge number 01 was reserved for the chief. I guess that's not the case every where.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    One sheepdog helping another!

Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    It just happened that the SWAT team was about 100 yards away behind a building getting ready for a search warrant. .

Thread Information