Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Standard Dave is offline Constable

The Government’s attitude to the police is criminal - UK

The Government’s attitude to the police is criminal - Telegraph

Crime is going up, so we should reduce the number of police and undermine their morale. Such is the apparent direction of Government policy. Police spending is being cut by 20 per cent; the number of police officers has already plummeted. In the 12 months to the end of September 2011, the number of officers fell by 6,144 to 138,871, the lowest since 2002.
    Over the same period, according to the British Crime Survey (BCS), crime increased by 4 per cent from 9.3 million to 9.7 million. Crime in public, including theft from the person and violence, varies with the availability of the police: such crimes have increased most. Personal crime, a category including violent crime, rose by 11 per cent. In London, where police numbers fell by over 1,200, robberies were up 13 per cent.

The Government prefers police-recorded crime, which shows a fall from 4.2 million to 4.1 million offences. But the ethics of crime recording were undermined by the last government’s target regime. Many forces have “crime management units”, nicknamed “crime massage units” by most coppers. The BCS is a large sample survey of over 46,000 adults, which is far less prone to manipulation.

Their 2010 manifesto gave the impression that Conservatives respected public servants and promised to restore “professional discretion” to the police. This week, however, it has published the Winsor report, which speaks of the police with disdain. The roots of policing, it says, lie in “blue-collar work for skilled manual workers who clock in and out”. It reinforces the “lower social and professional standing” of police officers. The report wants them to have skills “distinctly above those of factory workers”. It’s almost as if Mr Winsor thinks the Miss Marple books encapsulate modern policing, in which detectives are easily outwitted by an old spinster, and rank and file bobbies are politely requested to go to the back entrance where cook will give them a cup of tea.

I nearly fell off my chair laughing at the first paragraph.
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I know one thing that might curb those crime statistics:

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post

"You never know when the British will come back for their back taxes...."

Thread Information