Welcome to the APBWeb.
    lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

LAPD chief backs driver's licenses for illegal immigrants

Wading into a politically charged debate, Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck said California should issue driver's licenses to illegal immigrants.
    The chief becomes one of the most prominent local figures to support the idea and his stance is certain to further inflame critics who are already angry at Beck’s efforts to liberalize the rules on how his officers impound the cars of unlicensed drivers.
    “My personal belief is that they should be able to” have licenses, Beck said in response to a question during a meeting with Times’ reporters and editorial writers. “The reality is that all the things that we’ve done – ‘we’ being the state of California – over the last 14, 16 years have not reduced the problem one iota, haven’t reduced undocumented aliens driving without licenses. So we have to look at what we’re doing. When something doesn’t work over and over and over again, my view is that you should reexamine it to see if there is another way that makes more sense.”
    Beck said he does not believe licenses for illegal immigrants should be identical to regular ones. Saying “it could be a provisional license, it could be a nonresident license,” he acknowledged that state officials would have to find ways to address widely held concerns that offering licenses to people in the country illegally could make it easier for terrorists go undetected.
    For Beck, however, such concerns are outweighed by what he said would be improved safety on California roads and the ability of police to identify the people they encounter. “Why wouldn’t you want to put people through a rigorous testing process? Why wouldn’t you want to better identify people who are going to be here?” he said. “It doesn’t make any sense to me. And we could increase safety on the roads. When you make things illegal you cause a lot of other things by chain reaction.”

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...igrations.html
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I salute him for looking for ways to change a system that isn't working. Not saying this is the best way, but it's a worthy conversation to have.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    They've already broken the biggie by being in this country illegally. Rigorous testing and a nonresident license would have to be paid for, and if you try to make the people in question pay, they likely won't. I don't think they really worry too much about driving without a license, as it only is a problem if they get caught. They already are here, either working under the table or with a stolen SSN, either way they're not paying taxes on services (such as public roads, not even going to get into the medical situation) so what's one more thing? I don't think this would make one damn bit of difference.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Take. The. Cars.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    This is the old "They are gonna do it anyway, so...." arguement. When did looking the other way ever work?

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    By his logic we should legalize murder. We have been fighting it over and over and over for hundreds of years yet it still keeps happening. Rape and child molestation also.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    By his logic we should legalize murder. We have been fighting it over and over and over for hundreds of years yet it still keeps happening. Rape and child molestation also.

Actually it seems we should mandate that murders and the like be licensed. We should make the process elaborate so that it would be attractive for them to be licensed. In the end it would be a great idea since it would make tracking down murders easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post
    This is the old "They are gonna do it anyway, so...." arguement. When did looking the other way ever work? Car 4
    Exactly.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I used to be against this, but I've changed my mind. At this point I would like licenses to be issued, provided that there is a strict standard for identifying applicants in the first place.

We already honor foreign drivers licenses in some circumstances. If we are allowing some foreign nationals to legally drive in the US with a foreign license, then why not issue them a US license?

I agree with the Chief that the process of obtaining a US license *should* theoretically improve safety and the ability to identify drivers. They should take the road test, proving they are knowledgeable about our traffic laws and capable of driving the vehicle. Hypothetically they would have a legitimate name, date of birth and address on the license itself. How many times have you pulled over a car with some nonsense "ID" or a verbal ID only? What do you do about it? US issued licenses make my job much quicker and easier for all parties involved.

Here's some food for thought: street cops are not detaining illegals here just on the basis that they are in the country illegally. Whether you agree or not, that's the way it is. What is the difference if they give me a license from their country and international translation (no ticket) or a US state that doesn't require a SS# (no ticket) or give me just a name or BS ID (ticket)? They are still in the country illegally! This doesn't solve any immigration problem either way. Licensing them may solve traffic and ID problems though.

I don't believe that a SS# is needed to issue a license. Like I said, there are other ways that they can legally drive here anyway. If we regulate licenses, we can require certain levels of proof of identification. They can probably provide some type of birth certificate, foreign license or ID, etc. I BELIEVE THAT EVERY DRIVERS LICENSE APPLICANT (DOMESTIC OR FOREIGN) SHOULD BE FINGERPRINTED! This could be cross referenced so that no one could get multiple licenses under different names, and if someone committed an offense you would have a solid ID on them. That name/DOB on the license/ID that goes with your fingerprints is your "real" identification. Any other aliases could be recorded and attached, as with any other case.

Yes, it will cost money for them to get the license. They can afford it. They do have jobs and they're obviously already paying for the car and gas.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

Aegis is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    I do not believe that the State DMV will be able to verify the identity of the person requesting the "provisional" license. Have you seen the Youtube video of the guys going in and getting licenses while in disguise? Granted, they didn't try to give false info, they just used very poor disguises but nobody refused to give them an ID while painted red or dressed up like a Chinese stereotype from a 1940's cartoon.

If this goes into effect, they will either have to make the identification requirements so stringent that the "permanent visitors" will be unable or unwilling to get the licenses; or the requirements will be too lax and I will be able to go to CA and get a State issued ID that says my name is Paco Ramirez.

Thread Information