Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Thumbs up Refreshing Concealed Carry Perspective

Click the link for the full story:

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...nion?p=1&tc=pg

Law-abiders should get preference over criminals

Published: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 3:30 a.m.
    Last Modified: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 at 8:53 p.m.
    TUSCALOOSA | In the end, it all boils down to who scares you the most. Are you scared of law-abiding citizens, or are you afraid of criminals? Who do you think is more likely to kill you, people who jump through the hoops to legally possess firearms, or criminals?

“Stand your ground” laws like Florida has (and Alabama’s is similar) are getting a lot of attention, because when ordinary citizens who legally own guns wrongfully kill people — in an accident, by mistake or on purpose — it makes headlines. That’s because some people don’t believe private citizens should have guns.

In general, the news media give the anti-gun perspective a sympathetic ear, and that’s why it winds up in the headlines. And the news media generally approach laws that enable ordinary citizens to own guns and use them defensively as something that encourages “cowboy” behavior.

I think a lot of people look at situations like the Trayvon Martin case and say, “If George Zimmerman hadn’t had a gun, that kid would still be alive.” In isolation, that could be a fact (it is also possible that Zimmerman could have used another weapon). But facts and incidents don’t exist in isolation.

The corresponding question is that if ordinary citizens didn’t have guns, who would be dead, raped or robbed? Simply put, ordinary citizens use firearms far more frequently to defend themselves and prevent crimes than to shoot innocent people.

If events are news because they are unusual, then perhaps it should make headlines when ordinary, law-abiding citizens wrongfully shoot someone intentionally. It doesn’t happen very often.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I do sometimes wonder if some people here point at England and think "That's the place where there is no violent crime because nobody has guns."
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    I do sometimes wonder if some people here point at England and think "That's the place where there is no violent crime because nobody has guns."
    Well, certainly a lot less violence, but being a small country all our people are mostly in large towns/cities, so have to interact up close, which often is a cause of any violence here. Having said that I have almost no chance of being shot, by police or public.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

bayern is online now Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan 42 View Post
    Well, certainly a lot less violence, but being a small country all our people are mostly in large towns/cities, so have to interact up close, which often is a cause of any violence here. Having said that I have almost no chance of being shot, by police or public.

True, but you have a damn good chance of being stabbbed (you wear knife vests) or being beat silly with your version of a baseball bat.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The idea that it is morally superior to be stabbed than shot is silly, but not quite as silly as the idea that you should retreat when attacked.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan 42 View Post
    ...But there's still a chance.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Thread Information