Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Newark mayor and detectives protecting him rescue his next-door neighbors from burning house

Newark Mayor Cory Booker was taken to a hospital Thursday night for treatment of smoke inhalation he suffered trying to rescue his next-door neighbors from their burning house.
    "I just grabbed her and whipped her out of the bed," Booker said in recounting the fire. Booker told The Star-Ledger he also suffered second-degree burns on his hand.
    Newark Fire Director Fateen Ziyad said after the mayor arrived home he saw flames and smoke from the second floor of the building next to his home, and no residents outside,
    Booker rushed in and his security detail followed him, Ziyad said.
    As fire and EMS arrived, they administered oxygen to Booker and his security detail and took the mayor to the hospital. Newark Fire Chief John Centanni was at the hospital with Booker and said the mayor and his detail were "banged up" but would be fine. The residents of the building also appeared to be okay.
    Centanni said the mayor executed a professional rescue and possibly saved the life of one resident.
    After being released from the hospital, Booker recounted his experience at the fire and said he thought he might have to jump out of a window because of the heavy flames.
    "We got everybody out of the house, but their daughter’s screaming, ‘I’m upstairs!’ " he told The Star-Ledger.
    One of his security officers, Detective Alex Rodriguez, tried to stop him from going back in.
    Rodriguez had been posted at Booker’s house in the mayor’s absence. The other two detectives, Duran Santos and Al-Tariq Whitley, were accompanying Booker from the television interview.
    "Now we actually get into a fight because his job is to protect me," Booker said of Rodriguez.
    Booker said when he reached the second floor, he was engulfed in flames and smoke.
    "I suddenly had the realization that I can’t find this woman." Booker said. "I look behind me and see the flames and I think "I’m not going to get out of here. Suddenly I was at peace with the fact that I was going to jump out the window."
    Then he heard her cries in a back bedroom.
    "I just grabbed her and whipped her out of the bed," Booker said. The two made their way downstairs, where they both collapsed, Booker said.
    Rodriguez, who had helped others out of the house said when he saw the mayor go in, he thought his career in protection was over.
    More here: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...ker_taken.html

Napalm is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Outstanding! I'm sure he will not have to do a whole lot of campaigning in the next mayoral race.
    Wiping the turds of humanity from the ass of society from 1600 to midnight.

Thread Information