Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Reca is offline Administrator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Owner
    Blog Entries

Police Working Under Cover, and Under Strain

After a decade spent working the bottom levels of New York’s drug world, Margaret Sasso, an undercover police officer, believed she had done and seen enough. The thought of entering more crack dens made her numb. Michael J. Palladino, the head of the detectives’ union.

She sought a hardship transfer in August, but nothing came of it.
    In March, as she sat in her car before a shift, she began swallowing prescribed muscle relaxants. The police found her the next day, unconscious from what she said was a failed suicide attempt.
    “I just wanted to rest,” Detective Sasso, 43, said in a recent interview, after her release from a hospital. “Get away from everything and just rest.”
    Detective Sasso’s suicide attempt was seen by other detectives as a potent, if extreme, illustration of the difficulties plaguing undercover units at a time when the New York Police Department’s head count is diminished, but the demand for arrests has never been higher.
    Of the 120 or so undercover officers in the Organized Crime Control Bureau, which runs most of the department’s undercover operations, there is widespread dissatisfaction among the ranks, according to interviews with nearly a dozen current or recently retired detectives, including several assigned to undercover units.
    About 40 undercover officers or detectives have pending requests to be transferred out, said one police official in Brooklyn who works with undercover officers, and who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Continue reading the story here

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/07/ny...beat.html?_r=1
    Check your feelings at the door!

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Reca" on Officerresource.com

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    An interesting story until the Times started pushing the racial element.

"Most candidates tend to be black or Hispanic; police officials say that many minority drug dealers are more likely to suspect white customers of being undercover officers."

This makes sense.

"Similarly, at one firearms unit in Brooklyn, undercover officers work from a busy police station rather than a covert location, said two retired detectives, who believe the arrangement puts them at risk of being identified as police officers.

On the streets, undercover officers are supposed to be supported by the “ghost” officer and by a backup team of six officers. But the backup team is often short-staffed, said Detective Lawson, who has filed a lawsuit accusing supervisors of having “consistently falsified” the written tactical plans to make it seem as if the undercover operations were fully staffed.

“I couldn’t depend on the field team,” she said.

In interviews, several detectives who had worked in the firearms unit said they wanted the option of working in larger undercover teams, rather than in pairs, saying the criminals they meet travel in large groups.

Mr. Palladino is also pressing for lawmakers to force the department to replace the transmitters that undercover officers use as a hidden lifeline to a backup team. The transmitters have been criticized as unreliable and outdated; some that were in use in recent years resembled the hip-worn beepers popular two decades ago, Detective Sasso said."

THIS SHOULD BE CRIMINAL!

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Why. Anytime you start cutting things for LE, bad things happen. When will they see that? Why cut the very thing that is so essential to all of us? Incredibly frustrating, as is the consequences it brings.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Another tragic statistic in the "War on Drugs".
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Another tragic statistic in the "War on Drugs".
    Yeah no shit. We couldn't fight our way out of a broken crack pipe.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    I did a lot of reading on law enforcement back in the 80s during the crack epidemic. Especially in areas like LA and New York. Coupled with what I've gone through and I've seen other cops go through, I think few people realize the psychological impact these types of enforcement efforts have on cops- especially when they do it for the long term.

It's also why I always tell new guys to have an exit strategy. So if you get to that point in this job you can quite and have a way out. And also save up as much money as you can to keep you afloat if you have to quit your job. Easier said then done, I know. But it's sure easier than swallowing a handful pills.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Thread Information