Welcome to the APBWeb.
    lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Teen mom, top student earns scholarship

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) -- A 17-year-old single mother and class valedictorian is being awarded a prestigious college scholarship to Wilson College in Pennsylvania.

The Hill House High School student said the last year hasn't been easy, but one simple belief helped her through the hard times.

It was the giggles and the gossip through the halls of Hill House High School in New Haven that persuaded 17-year-old Shaylah McQueen to be the young woman she's always wanted to be.

McQueen is the teen mother or a little boy, and a future English teacher.

"To this day my own dad disowns me, but I still love him dearly. It doesn't matter," said McQueen, Hill House High Valedictorian.

Her unplanned pregnancy during her junior year of high school was the cause of stress and self doubt, but she never lost sight of her goal to get more than just good grades.

McQueen has been awarded a full tuition for undergraduate and graduate work as a recipient of the Gates Millennium Scholarship . She is one of 1,000 students selected in the country.

McQueen is off to Wilson College in Pennsylvania this fall, with her son.

"I'm gonna woman up and be mature and responsible for my child and myself," said McQueen

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/new_hav...ns-scholarship

I find it sarcastically amusing that no link to this episode of MTV's Teen Mom could be found.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Napalm is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Good for her. She is no "Occupier" or Obama supporter. She has goals & motivation.
    Wiping the turds of humanity from the ass of society from 1600 to midnight.

Thread Information