Welcome to the APBWeb.
    lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

AT&T Chief Regrets Offering Unlimited Data for iPhone

When Randall Stephenson, AT&T’s chief executive, spoke about the state of the wireless industry at a conference this week, he shared some surprisingly frank comments about the iPhone. In particular, he said that he wished the company had never offered an unlimited data plan for the device and that he loses sleep over free texting services like Apple’s iMessage.

If AT&T hadn’t offered unlimited data, it would have been able to get people who used more data to pay up for it, as opposed to having the light data users subsidize the heavy ones, he said.

“My only regret was how we introduced pricing in the beginning, because how did we introduce pricing? Thirty dollars and you get all you can eat,” he said in the on-stage interview at the Milken Institute’s Global Conference on Wednesday. “And it’s a variable cost model. Every additional megabyte you use in this network, I have to invest capital.”

AT&T discontinued unlimited data in 2010, and it has since moved to limited, tiered data plans. The switch is working out well for AT&T. In the last quarter, the company reported $6.1 billion in revenue from mobile data alone. Ralph de la Vega, chief executive of AT&T Mobility, said 70 percent of the people on tiered data plans were paying for the more expensive options.

But that’s not the end of AT&T’s concerns. Mr. Stephenson said he worried about services that could replace the company’s own offerings. For example, free Internet-based messaging services like Apple’s iMessage are eating into the company’s revenue from text messages.

“You lie awake at night worrying about what is that which will disrupt your business model,” he said. “Apple iMessage is a classic example. If you’re using iMessage, you’re not using one of our messaging services, right? That’s disruptive to our messaging revenue stream.”

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...ll-stephenson/
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    I know Verizon has switched to pay as you use data. My plan was grandfathered in for unlimited data since I've been with them since 03.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I am one of those people that he looses sleep over. Guess what? I don't. If you saw my phone bill (DSL Internet, Home Phone and 3 cells phone (1 is an Iphone 4) I am paying plenty. Hey ole geezer lose sleep, and I am a stockholder and I loose sleep when I see your financial statements. Guess what, give me your salary and I sleep for you. My morning rant.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Eh, I'm grandfathered into Verizon's all you can eat plan.

Anything else is rape, considering how little it impacts their network.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesCopPodz View Post
    I know Verizon has switched to pay as you use data. My plan was grandfathered in for unlimited data since I've been with them since 03.
    I've been with them for about 3 years and was grandfathered in as well. I'm very thankful. It's nice to stream video over 4G
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    Eh, I'm grandfathered into Verizon's all you can eat plan.

Anything else is rape, considering how little it impacts their network.

Winning reply.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

pac201 is offline Used up and retired
    Verified LEO
    a handbasket...guess where we're going...
    What amazes me is that he openly admits losing sleep trying to figure out a way to rape consumers...
    Job security...

Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    I stepped down from the unlimited to 2GB when I got my iPhone 4...oops Oh well, I have never even used 500MB in a month so I'm not worried about it. I will say though, iMessage is the best invention ever. I don't care about domestic, I get those unlimited anyways, but I can now text friends and family in Norway for free rather than paying $0.25 per text message.
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

abom334 is offline Every Meth Head's nightmare
    Verified LEO
    What a tool. I will be changing carriers when my contract is up just cause he said this.
    "Fear not the night. Fear that which walks the night. And *I* am that which walks the night. But only evil need fear me …and gentle souls sleep safe in their beds…because I walk the night".- Dave Grossman

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    AT&T has a long and proud history of screwing its customers. Overcharging, billing for unnecessary services, collecting fees for things that don't exist, etc etc. He's just trying to live up to the company reputation of buggery at all costs.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Anyone tried Ting? Describing it would sound like a sales pitch and they're not paying me. Not that I'd mind.

Saw a couple references to being on the unlimited plan. Know what that's worth? It's a Sheep Pledge, promising you all the grain you can eat so long as you don't eat any more than the rest. It's vapor.

I'm on unlimited and have been throttled twice. AT&T's unlimited used to be 5 gigs like everyone at the time, then cut to 2 gigs. Verizon hasn't documented their new rules, but I was well under 5 the second time. (14 and 3.7 for those interested) Nope, wasn't cut off, just throttled to 15kB/s. They put me on early 90's dialup instead of cutting me off, what's the difference these days? I'm not mad or bitter, more playful than anything. Thanks to Droidwall I could easily keep my data use under 10 meg/month - just not so inclined so long as I'm paying as much for this data plan as the copper pipe, much more interesting to find the limits of this sandbox. I don't need data, but they force it on me, so I explore it.

Sure, I know spectrum is limited. But it's not anything like they cry about, and most of those restrictions are artificial. I'm in Corntown, BFE where maybe one in a hundred people have a smartphone yet and they're using the Silicon Valley doomsday model for billing everyone. So glad we have such choice in the marketplace and local competition. That was bitter.

Thread Information