Welcome to the APBWeb.
    121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Study Guide found to have POST test questions, verbatim

I don't like posting negative news stories about cops, but I believe in a degree of transparency, and above all, integrity. How could this guy NOT have realized that being the POST curriculum chairman, a serving Chief of Police, and publishing a book with POST questions that he KNEW are verbatim on the test, would NOT be a conflict of interest???!! Then to blame POST and the AG by saying, "Well gee golly, I wrote the questions FIRST, then THEY put them on the test. What was I supposed to do? Not sell my study guide? So yeah, it's compromised, but not because of anything I did!"

Kind of a black eye, and I can just picture defense attorneys on the hunt for overturned convictions. Glad I graduated years before this all apparently started.

DENVER -- Colorado police certification tests have been compromised because many test questions and answers are readily available in a $75 study guide sold by the former curriculum committee chairman, a CALL7 Investigation found.
    Philip Baca, the person selling the study guide, was on the P.O.S.T. (Peace Officers Standards and Training board) curriculum committee for years. The committee oversees testing and education, including approval of all test questions, CALL7 Investigator John Ferrugia learned.
    More at link. Study Guide Has Verbatim Questions From Police Test - Denver News Story - KMGH Denver
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Baca came to my academy and taught a POST preparation class. I know he offered the books for sale then (2008), but it was so expensive that I said screw it. Didn't buy one. I don't think any of my lateral classmates, nor any of the rookies in the adjacent academy class bought any either due to the high price tag.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

abom334 is offline Every Meth Head's nightmare
    Verified LEO
    Our academy requires several tests throughout the 16 weeks with a grade of 80% or higher to graduate. If you get a score lower than any of the required tests, you will immediately be removed from the class. Even with graduation the FTEP manual must be competed and signed off to get your certificate.
    "Fear not the night. Fear that which walks the night. And *I* am that which walks the night. But only evil need fear me …and gentle souls sleep safe in their beds…because I walk the night".- Dave Grossman

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    It's basically the same here. Obviously you're constantly tested throughout the academy to ensure knowledge retention throughout. This is simply the state test that's at the end and that is proctored by state personnel.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Thread Information