• 1 Post By Captain America
  • 2 Post By lewisipso
  • 2 Post By MacLean

Thread: Advocates protest open carry arrest

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Advocates protest open carry arrest

Advocates protest charges against rifle-carrying teen : News : NorthwestOhio.com

According to
    The Detroit News
    18-year-old Sean Combs was arrested in April for walking downtown with an M-1 rifle strapped to his back. Combs was charged with brandishing a weapon, resisting and obstructing police and disturbing the peace.

Combs' supporters say
    the arrest was illegal because it violated his civil rights and the charges need to be dropped.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Eh, I'm all for open carry, but flaunting it in an obvious manner only to get a reaction doesn't help anyone. If he was really out for a cause that he wanted to help, he wouldn't have resisted either. That doesn't help to quell the "crazy gun guy" stereotype.
    lewisipso likes this.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    While I agree that the charges should be dropped, he's the type of idiot that give gun people a bad name.
    Ducky, lewisipso and Policefan1978 like this.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Cornfed1100 is offline Officer First Class
    I wonder why police respond to a man with a gun call. Dispatch should tell the caller, "Thanks for reporting a legal activity. Did you notice anybody with a bat or cheeseburger?". Cheeseburgers kill more of us than guns. Worry about cheeseburgers. Brandishing is completely different from carrying and the public needs educated on the difference. I could see dispatch asking questions like, "How is the weapon being handled?, Was it being waved around or pointing at any one?" if the answers were NO then thank the caller for wasting a call. Reports of legal activity should get 0 response from LEO.
    Its a shame when we look down on exercising our rights. Fight for our freedoms should be second nature. I'd like to see 10000 people walk through Detriot with long arms.
    These guys do get gun rights on the front page. They do get discussions started. I hope they educate the public about our rights. I do fear it's the wrong approach to do it solo and not recording LEO for a bogus illegal "investigation" into a legal activity. No crime, no Terry stop.

Tapatalk does not require a sobriety test to post.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed1100 View Post
    I wonder why police respond to a man with a gun call. Dispatch should tell the caller, "Thanks for reporting a legal activity. Did you notice anybody with a bat or cheeseburger?". Cheeseburgers kill more of us than guns. Worry about cheeseburgers. Brandishing is completely different from carrying and the public needs educated on the difference. I could see dispatch asking questions like, "How is the weapon being handled?, Was it being waved around or pointing at any one?" if the answers were NO then thank the caller for wasting a call. Reports of legal activity should get 0 response from LEO.
    Oh if it were so easy to apply common sense to policing.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    It takes only one cop with a chip on his shoulder or one jackass trying to make a point to turn an ordinary every day thing into a news story.

I'd suggest that a wee bit of both happened here.
    Policefan1978 likes this.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

narcodog4 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    Here is what I have noticed that seems to be becoming a trend:
    More and more people that are OCing and attempting to "educate the public and Police". When the media gets ahold of these reports then the OC people are being portrayed as moonbat crazy even if nothing happened. Look at how all these events and "education sessions" worked out in California. They could only open carry unloaded firearms before they educated the public and now they can't even do that!
    The OC movement is becoming it's own worst enemy and not helping itself. Just because you can do something does not mean you should do that thing all the time. I can legally step out my back door, flip my neighbors off, parade around with a wagon full of guns, load them up and shoot at stumps in my back yard (we used to have a guy that did that every day because he could). How do you think his neighbors liked that? How do you think the public at large perceives someone openly carrying a firearm down main street USA? The average person is afraid of that person carrying a firearm. Rational/irrational fear does not play into it. We have become a society where displays of strength whether for good or bad are to be feared by most people. A firearm is one of our cultures most recognized forms of strength. Without a uniform or some other means of recognition to tell people who you are how are they supposed to know your intent?

The sheep can't tell the difference between a sheepdog and a wolf. All they know is that both of them have teeth.
    "The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it."
    Ayn Rand's character John Galt in Atlas Shrugged

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by narcodog4 View Post
    The sheep can't tell the difference between a sheepdog and a wolf. All they know is that both of them have teeth.

perfectly said...

I had an incident a while back where a guy was OC - he was stopped by another officer to get ID'd - after disarmed and made safe, I ran the guy through the computer and found he had a Concealed Permit - at which point I decided to chew him out for a couple of things...
    1 - for not telling us up front (could've avoided the whole shebang a bang by providing that)
    2 - for not carrying concealed (no alarm to public)
    3 - for acting a general jackhole during the stop...
    I explained my views that I wish everyone who COULD get a concealed permit would get one, keep in practice, and carry... that would make criminals think twice about committing violent crimes - once he figured out that most PD are gun nuts (he was under the impression we are anti-guns for some reason) he had a positive encounter with the Police that afternoon...

just wish they were all that easy...
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

Quote Originally Posted by Twan007 View Post
    perfectly said...

I had an incident a while back where a guy was OC - he was stopped by another officer to get ID'd - after disarmed and made safe, I ran the guy through the computer and found he had a Concealed Permit - at which point I decided to chew him out for a couple of things...
    1 - for not telling us up front (could've avoided the whole shebang a bang by providing that)
    2 - for not carrying concealed (no alarm to public)
    3 - for acting a general jackhole during the stop...
    I explained my views that I wish everyone who COULD get a concealed permit would get one, keep in practice, and carry... that would make criminals think twice about committing violent crimes - once he figured out that most PD are gun nuts (he was under the impression we are anti-guns for some reason) he had a positive encounter with the Police that afternoon...

just wish they were all that easy...
    Interesting
    Man with gun stopped was stopped for what crime? Is having an opinion different from yours a crime?
    Not violating a law is justification for detainment, search, seizure and a lecture about your personal ideals?
    I see no reason for him to cooperate. I see the reason OC needs done more often. Did disarming him make him safe or you safe? Did you remove your gun to make him safe?
    The double standard is mind boggling.
    OC does not require disclosure to LEO in Ohio.

Open carry does not require a concealment permit.
    Open carry alone does not provide reasonable suspicion and there for no ID is required to be shown.
    A person in the act of behaving legally requires no investigation.
    Concealing requires a permit.
    Carrying openly is not a crime.
    Departments should offer more training.
    The guy may be a dillhole but that's not a crime either.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by narcodog4 View Post
    Without a uniform or some other means of recognition to tell people who you are how are they supposed to know your intent?
    If I ever live in a country where I have to prove my intent to anyone about anything, I'm certainly not going to be wearing a badge and enforcing such nonsense.

If the carry of a weapon openly is not a crime where you work, we as constitutional law enforcers are not permitted to stop and ID someone simply to determine their intent or lack of criminal record. If you are doing so, you are violating their civil rights.
    Cornfed1100 likes this.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    If I ever live in a country where I have to prove my intent to anyone about anything, I'm certainly not going to be wearing a badge and enforcing such nonsense.

If the carry of a weapon openly is not a crime where you work, we as constitutional law enforcers are not permitted to stop and ID someone simply to determine their intent or lack of criminal record. If you are doing so, you are violating their civil rights.
    Amen! Brother!

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I would have stopped him too. Haven't seen a M1 for awhile and it's a great conversation starter.

Don't much like the public, the ones that call anytime their panties get twisted anyway. Didn't RONCO invent something to prevent that?
    Captain America likes this.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    I would have stopped him too. Haven't seen a M1 for awhile and it's a great conversation starter.
    Yep. "Where did you get the cool Garand? How does it shoot ? I'm looking to get one myself. Love World War II firearms. I inherited a K-98 from my father-in-law. Where do you shoot it at......."
    MacLean likes this.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    hey cornfed... read carefully - I don't know why he was stopped, it wasn't my stop... ok, that's all that applies to you...

once stopped I don't see why anyone would be reluctant to provide information that would move the process along - no matter if they felt the reason for stop was justified or not... (that can be fought later)

and now this thread is starting to turn the direction of those "crazy cops who stop legal citizens for no reason and detain them illegally just because they are carrying a gun"

but the problem with religious zealots is that no matter how much you believe in their right to make a point - and maybe even believe in their point - they don't ever believe in your right to tell them they might be going about it the wrong way
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Twan007 View Post
    hey cornfed... read carefully - I don't know why he was stopped, it wasn't my stop... ok, that's all that applies to you...

once stopped I don't see why anyone would be reluctant to provide information that would move the process along - no matter if they felt the reason for stop was justified or not... (that can be fought later)

Because the time to hold court is on the side of the road.
    Twan007 and pgg like this.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The problem isn't recognizing someone as a religious zealot. That's their problem.

Our problem is to not do what we swore we would not do. If a little introspection makes you uncomfortable, there might be a reason.

The minute you disarm someone for safety you have seized them for Terry. If you can't think of some actual crime you have reasonable suspicion for, you have seized them unlawfully.

You have an absolute right in this country to go about your business without having to identify yourself, absent that reasonable suspicion.

So put the religious zealot into the encounter... Why would you do exactly what he wants to record you doing?

Work smarter.
    Five-0 and Odd like this.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Thread Information