• 5 Post By Xiphos
  • 1 Post By pac201
  • 4 Post By 121Traffic
  • 6 Post By Rhino

Thread: Woman saved by cop in shopping mall plans to sue township for $5M

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

Woman saved by cop in shopping mall plans to sue township for $5M

WOODBRIDGE — She was grabbed by a desperate parolee and who held her with a knife to her throat in Woodbridge Center Mall until a police officer shot and killed the man.

Now the woman, Ellen Shane, 62, of Carteret, plans to sue the township for $5 million, claiming it failed to protect public safety and that she was injured as a result of the officer’s acts.

Both Shane and her husband, Ronald Shane, "are suffering from post traumatic stress syndrome and both have been dramatized from this incident," according to the tort claim notice filed by their lawyer, David Corrigan of Eatontown.

The claim states the couple are seeking treatment from a psychologist and a psychiatrist.

Mayor John McCormac stood by the officer’s actions. "No lawsuit will change the fact our officer is a hero for saving her life," he said.

On March 8, Andres Garcia, 44, of Paterson, a convicted robber wanted for a parole violation, was fleeing police after a shoplifting incident in the mall. He grabbed Ellen Shane by her hair, pulled her away from her husband, held a knife to her throat and dragged her to the Sears store.

As Garcia held her, uniformed Woodbridge police Officer Edward Barrett Jr. who was working a security detail at the mall, shot the parolee in the head.

Court papers filed with the township state Garcia told the officer he would harm Ellen Shane if not allowed to leave.

"Instead of attempting to resolve the situation, Barrett took out his gun and shot the suspect while he was holding Mrs. Shane," the paper states.

It alleges township police, Barrett in particular, failed to provide proper safeguards or warning, violated state, county and local policies pertaining to shoplifting and were negligent in hiring, training and supervising personnel.

Rest of story here:

Woman held at knifepoint in Woodbridge Center Mall plans to sue township for $5M | NJ.com

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Fuck her. If this ever happens again they should just walk away and let the parolee slit her throat.
    JLK and Cornfed1100 like this.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm glad to see that all but one of the comments are in favor of the officer.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    Fuck her. If this ever happens again they should just walk away and let the parolee slit her throat.

This is one of the many parts of this story that really annoys me:

Court papers filed with the township state Garcia told the officer he would harm Ellen Shane if not allowed to leave.

"Instead of attempting to resolve the situation, Barrett took out his gun and shot the suspect while he was holding Mrs. Shane," the paper states.
    IMO, the officer did resolve the situation.
    JLK and Rhino like this.

Aegis is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO

Sounds to me like he did resolve the situation... permanently.

Doh! Buttercup post sniped me while I was typing!

Bjohnson63 is offline King of the Shit Bucket
    Verified LEO
    No good deed goes unpunished.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    I'm glad to see that all but one of the comments are in favor of the officer.

That stupid news site is just like al dot com. Their staff will post crap to drive more comments.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    They should give her just enough of a settlement to go buy a big cup of go fuck yourself.
    ex401mp and Cornfed1100 like this.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Cornfed1100 is offline Officer First Class
    And I thought good marksmanship was always needed. It sounds to me like a miss may still have been a win. She should be ashamed of herself.

Tapatalk does not require a sobriety test to post.
    Pudge likes this.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    How about we hook turn this idiot over to the same kids who bullied the old lady on the bus. They can sit there and lower the mean IQ together.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Window licker. I hope you Google your name Ellen Shane and know society wishes Officer Barrett wasn't there to help you. You are a life sucking drain on your community and deserve to be discarded as the blood sucking leach you are. Ungrateful oxygen thief.
    Pudge, JLK, lewisipso and 2 others like this.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

pac201 is offline Used up and retired
    Verified LEO
    a handbasket...guess where we're going...
    The officer was working for the mall not the township, so why aren't they suing the mall?

And yeah, she can go suck sweat from a nasty spot...
    Cornfed1100 likes this.
    Job security...

Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Every time I think I've gotten to the point where I can say, "Nothing shocks me anymore," some fucking stillborn, incomprehensibly greedy shithead like this comes along, and makes my jaw drop.
    Pudge, Wolven, Xiphos and 1 others like this.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Similar thing happened close to here back in the late 70s.Bank teller,kidnapped,pursuit,corne red,suspect gets out with gun to tellers head,sniper makes short work of the trial,and sentence.She sued because the sniper endangered her,!!!?????,Uhhhh I think the suspect was more of a danger,bitch.
    ]

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    She should sue the maggot's family, but they probably couldn't cough up $5 mil, so she goes after the deep pockets.

This is why I believe all civil courts should adopt a "loser pays" law. So that any loser in a civil trial is forced to pay the other party's attorney fees. This would cut out frivolous lawsuits overnight.
    Pudge, Ducky, Twan007 and 3 others like this.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Well I believe the officer wanted to hold hands and sing songs with the suspect to resolve the situation but unfortunately IT HAD A FUCKING KNIFE IN IT!

Moron. Enjoy your settlement since I doubt this will make it to trial.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I just had to laugh when I heard someone say, "Shoulda' shot 'em both..."

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

JLK
    JLK is offline Protecting Those That Can't Protect Themselves
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    I just had to laugh when I heard someone say, "Shoulda' shot 'em both..."
    with the proper angle it could be done with one bullet thus saving taxpayers money

"A strong man stands up for himself. A stronger man stands up for others."
    Ben

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented
    on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you
    expecting trouble?" "No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have
    brought my rifle."
    (just stole this one hope you don't mind)

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant,
    it is just that they know so much that isn't so.
    President Ronald Reagan

Thread Information