Welcome to the APBWeb.
    bayern is online now Officer First Class
    Verified LEO

Aftermath of AURORA

Was this guy being prudent, trying to make a point, or what??? If he has a CC Permit, why is he carrying his weapon where others can see it??

Man Who Brought Gun Iinto Theater Defends Choice

THORNTON, CO (KUSA) - James "Jim" Mapes, the man who was arrested after walking into a Thornton movie theater with a gun at his waist, sticks by his choice to bring his weapon inside.
    KUSA-TV met with Mapes Friday at his attorney's office. Mapes says the night of the Aurora theater shooting, he was at the Thornton Cinebarre Theatre. An officer asked to see his concealed-weapons permit. Everything was checked out.
    "That's one of the things with the law - cooperate with law enforcement at all times, which I did," Mapes told KUSA.

However, on July 29 - more than a week after the Aurora theater shooting - Mapes walked into the same theater with a gun strapped to his waist. Police evacuated the theater as they searched for Mapes in the cinema. He was arrested and booked over the weekend. He was later released.

Mapes was arrested for 'investigation of a possible dangerous weapon.' According to Thornton Police, the law states that a person with a concealed carry permit cannot "display or flourish a dangerous weapon in a manner calculated to alarm another person."

Mapes says he may not counter-sue for the damages that he has suffered over the last few days. He says he has been in the news and his phone has been ringing off the hook since the incident.

He says he's been to this theater over that last few years at least 30 times - always with a gun on his hip - and never had a problem.
    "I got my concealed-weapons permit in 1993 and have been carrying since then," Mapes told KUSA.

He says that he has had hundreds of hours on gun and safety training and attends one to two courses a month.
    "I carry because I am trying to be responsible for my own self defense," Mapes told 9NEWS. "People say I'm being insensitive because it's right after the shooting. Well, if you're worried about copycats, then I would be kinda foolish to leave my gun at home."

Unless the charges are dropped he will be in court again on Sept. 3.

"It's kind of ridiculous that I'm charged with a crime, because I didn't do anything wrong," Mapes told KUSA. "I haven't gotten much sleep this week. I'm depending on what side you are on, I'm either a hero or a scumbag across the nation - across the globe. I mean, people in Korea and England are commenting on this."

Man Who Brought Gun Iinto Theater Defends Choice | wltx.com

JLK
    JLK is offline Protecting Those That Can't Protect Themselves
    Verified LEO

"A strong man stands up for himself. A stronger man stands up for others."
    Ben

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented
    on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you
    expecting trouble?" "No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have
    brought my rifle."
    (just stole this one hope you don't mind)

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant,
    it is just that they know so much that isn't so.
    President Ronald Reagan

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Open carry? Who knew it would be a bad idea?
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

rob84 is offline Did you press the power button?
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by bayern View Post
    Was this guy being prudent, trying to make a point, or what??? If he has a CC Permit, why is he carrying his weapon where others can see it??

Man Who Brought Gun Iinto Theater Defends Choice

THORNTON, CO (KUSA) - James "Jim" Mapes, the man who was arrested after walking into a Thornton movie theater with a gun at his waist, sticks by his choice to bring his weapon inside.
    KUSA-TV met with Mapes Friday at his attorney's office. Mapes says the night of the Aurora theater shooting, he was at the Thornton Cinebarre Theatre. An officer asked to see his concealed-weapons permit. Everything was checked out.
    "That's one of the things with the law - cooperate with law enforcement at all times, which I did," Mapes told KUSA.

However, on July 29 - more than a week after the Aurora theater shooting - Mapes walked into the same theater with a gun strapped to his waist. Police evacuated the theater as they searched for Mapes in the cinema. He was arrested and booked over the weekend. He was later released.

Mapes was arrested for 'investigation of a possible dangerous weapon.' According to Thornton Police, the law states that a person with a concealed carry permit cannot "display or flourish a dangerous weapon in a manner calculated to alarm another person."

Mapes says he may not counter-sue for the damages that he has suffered over the last few days. He says he has been in the news and his phone has been ringing off the hook since the incident.

He says he's been to this theater over that last few years at least 30 times - always with a gun on his hip - and never had a problem.
    "I got my concealed-weapons permit in 1993 and have been carrying since then," Mapes told KUSA.

He says that he has had hundreds of hours on gun and safety training and attends one to two courses a month.
    "I carry because I am trying to be responsible for my own self defense," Mapes told 9NEWS. "People say I'm being insensitive because it's right after the shooting. Well, if you're worried about copycats, then I would be kinda foolish to leave my gun at home."

Unless the charges are dropped he will be in court again on Sept. 3.

"It's kind of ridiculous that I'm charged with a crime, because I didn't do anything wrong," Mapes told KUSA. "I haven't gotten much sleep this week. I'm depending on what side you are on, I'm either a hero or a scumbag across the nation - across the globe. I mean, people in Korea and England are commenting on this."

Man Who Brought Gun Iinto Theater Defends Choice | wltx.com
    Exactly, why open carry with a concealed carry permit? I got my concealed permit because I don't want to open carry, even though its legal in Virginia.

www.twitter.com/RobKimble1984
    www.facebook.com/robkimble

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    One has the right to freedom of expression, and if one does not understand there may be consequences for that expression the world has ways of sorting out his education.

Aurora, Colorado is not the place right now to make your OC stand.

That said, actually arresting him is problematic unless he did in fact commit the crime they are "investigating." They could always just give him a trespass warning and summons him to court if the prosecutor thinks they have PC.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Well if it's illegal to open carry, then he did commit a crime. And if it's illegal there, the cops had every right to detain and/or arrest him if he was illegally carrying it openly. And if it is illegal there, then why would he carry it openly, unless he was knowingly trying to prove some kind of point, despite the law? If I was a citizen with a permit, I would just keep my gun on me concealed like I am supposed to and be happy about it. The way the law is explained in the article, though, does seem a bit vague if it is actually worded the way it is portrayed. In theory, just having the gun openly showing on your hip by itself...i'd have a hard time calling that "calculated to alarm another person". Now if he was saying or doing something to cause concern, then I can see it. Can our CO people in here explain how the carry laws work in CO? This should be a pretty cut and dry case, unless the law is anything but.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I don't believe open carry is illegal in Colorado, but maybe some of our Colorado people can illuminate.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Thread Information