Welcome to the APBWeb.
    lesta311 is offline Evil is my business.......

Britain and W. Virginia finally have something in common.

Read the comment's listed at the bottem of the article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...a_source=&ct=5

Girl, 11, will be Britain's youngest mother

A girl is to become Britain's youngest mother after becoming pregnant at 11.
    The girl smokes 20 cigarettes a day despite being eight months' pregnant. She conceived aged 11 when she lost her virginity to a boy of 15 on a drunken night out with friends.

The 15-year-old has since been charged with rape by police, and is due to appear again at Edinburgh sheriff court on July 10.

She will be 12 years and 8 months when she has the child next month. Jenny Teague, Britain's youngest mother until now, was a month older when she gave birth in 1997.

How can we best tackle this problem? Tell us in reader comments below

The youngster, who lives near Edinburgh, says looking after her younger brothers has prepared her for motherhood.

But the girl admits she "panics and cries" when babies are unwell and does not feel able to bathe them.

The mother-to-be, who cannot be named for legal reasons, had unprotected sex with the teenage boy, who also cannot be identified, while drunk last August.

'Excited'
    She told the Sun: "I didn't think I'd get pregnant because it was my first time. But I'm really excited and looking forward to being a mum.

"I can't wait to take the baby swimming and out for walks in the pram. I think I'll be able to cope as I've had lots of practice looking after my brothers.

"I know how to feed a baby its bottle and I can change nappies. But I panic and cry if they're sick and I don't like giving them a bath because I'm a bit frightened.

"It's good to know I'll have my mum here to help me if I need her."

Concerned she might be pregnant, the girl visited a GP three times but tests proved negative. She learned the truth after buying a home-testing kit from a supermarket.

After the device displayed two blue lines, indicating she was pregnant, she pleaded with a female relative to break the news to her mother. The girl, who has been suspended from her first year of secondary school for fighting, said: "I was paranoid about what my mum was going to say and just frightened about being pregnant too.

"I knew straight away that I couldn't have an abortion because that's something I don't believe in.

"I was upset and so was my mum, especially as she'd just had my wee brother. We had a big argument and I ended up locking myself in my room and running away to a friend's.

"It was really hard but it's brought me and my mum closer, which is good. I knew my mum would stand by me no matter what, but I told her straight away I was going to keep the baby.

"The social worker suggested I got rid of it but I'd never do that."

Smoking at nine

The girl, who has shoulder-length dark hair, began smoking at nine and started drinking tonic wine and vodka cocktails at ten. She claimed her cigarette habit was not harming the health of her unborn child.

She said: "I can give up smoking at any time, but I don't find it affects my pregnancy."

The girl, whose parents split up several years ago, said she would like a baby boy - and may call him Leo.

She is currently being educated at a local community centre but knows she must return to school.

She told the Sun: "My mum has said she will look after the baby so I can go to school. I don't know what I want to do with my life when I leave. I used to want to be a nursery nurse, but now I'm not so sure."

'Proud of my daughter'
    Her mum said: "I'm not ashamed of my daughter at all - in fact, I'm proud of her for keeping the baby.

"I know she's worried what other people will say but she can walk out there with her head held high.

"At first I wasn't too happy about becoming a gran. But now I'm used to the idea. I'm really looking forward to having another baby in the house."

The Scottish Conservatives has called for society and families to unite to change attitudes towards sex following the news.

View all Reader comments (133)

133 people have commented on this story.

Here's a sample of the latest comments published. You can click view all to read all comments that readers have sent in.

When you have kids so unsupervised at age 9 that parents don't know they are drinking and smoking, what can you expect.

- John Sims, USA

It is unfortunate to see that this girl has experienced little of a normal childhood. Her mother is guilty of showing no good judgement as a parent whatsoever.

- Ed Bulman, Boston, MA USA

Smoking at nine - drinking alcohol by ten - and then smoking through the pregnancy with impunity. Frankly, I am torn whether to applaud her sense of morality for maintaining the pregnancy and worrying for the baby's welfare while his mother grows up! She can hold her head up as high as she likes, but methinks that the view for the entire lot will not be from any summit of success. Woe as my stomach turns.

- Audrey Toth, Winnipeg, Canada

This story first appeared in the . For more stories like this, buy the Daily Mail every day. Plus, to get the paper delivered to your home click here.

Mail to a friend Print story Read later

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Top of Page

©2006 Associated Newspapers Ltd · Terms & Conditions · PrivacySkip over adverts

Suggested searchesBroadband
    Chat
    Used cars
    Extra income
    Digital camera

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Didn't know that was possible guess so damn they become furtile at a young age.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

deputy29 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Am I the only one thinking WTF is wrong with her mother that not only does she allow but also seems to encourage her daughter's behavior???

MisterK is offline Monkey Man
    Shes hoping to be a great grandmother by age 40.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

BigBossMan is offline Officer First Class
    Verified C/O
    What about the guy in all of this? Is the guy getting charged with anything? Is there a law in Britain about a 15 year old having sex with an 11 year old?

MisterK is offline Monkey Man
    The 15-year-old has since been charged with rape by police, and is due to appear again at Edinburgh sheriff court on July 10.
    Yup.....
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

BigBossMan is offline Officer First Class
    Verified C/O
    I guess thats what I get for not reading the whole story. I missed that part.

Thanks

Lo523 is offline Master Officer
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    The baby brother of this girl, was born a heroin addict - the junkie mum of the pregnant girl gave birth to the boy 7 months ago. She openly uses heroin in front of her 6 kids, and has moved her new junkie boyfriend into her home.

Some kids have no chance right from birth!

lesta311 is offline Evil is my business.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Lo523
    The baby brother of this girl, was born a heroin addict - the junkie mum of the pregnant girl gave birth to the boy 7 months ago. She openly uses heroin in front of her 6 kids, and has moved her new junkie boyfriend into her home.

Some kids have no chance right from birth!

That's really sad that this type of thing happens. That girls biggest aspiration in life may be to go on Jerry Springer for her 15 minutes of fame.

She must have slipped into the gene pool when the lifeguard was on break.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Something tells me that both the girl and the mother are thrilled at their "celebrity" status.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Thread Information