• 1 Post By cwtlady

Thread: Student Shot/Killed at University of South Alabama

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Student Shot/Killed at University of South Alabama

University of South Alabama officer shoots and kills student

University of South Alabama officer shoots and kills student (Updated at 5 p.m.) | al.com

A University of South Alabama student was nude and acting erratically early this morning before a university officer fatally shot him outside the campus police station.
    The officer shot Gilbert Thomas Collar, 18, of Wetumpka, one time in the chest, USA spokesman Keith Ayers said during a news conference this afternoon on the campus.
    View full sizeKeith Ayers, a University of South Alabama spokesman, reads a statement about an university officer-involved shooting that left a student dead.
    The officer, whose name has not been released, has been placed on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation.
    The university has asked the District Attorney's Office to investigate the shooting. The Mobile County Sheriff's Office will help with the investigation.
    The university held a news conference outside the police station at 3 p.m. today. Ayers read from a prepared statement.
    He would not answer questions about if it is suspected that Collar was under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
    "We can't comment beyond the statement," he said.
    The officer encountered Collar after there was a loud bang on a west side window of the police station at 1:23 a.m. today.
    "When an officer exited the station to investigate, he was confronted by a muscular, nude man who was acting erratically," Ayers said. "The man repeatedly rushed toward the officer and verbally challenged the officer in a fighting stance."
    The officer drew his gun and ordered Collar to stop, Ayers said.
    "The officer retreated numerous times in an attempt to calm the situation," Ayers said. "The individual continued to press toward the officer in a threatening manner."
    Collar kneeled for a brief moment before rising and then rushing and chasing the retreating officer, Ayers said.
    He said the officer shot Collar after the student continued to rush the officer in a threatening manner and ignored the officer's commands to stop.
    "The individual fell to the ground, but he got up once more and continued to challenge the officer further before collapsing and expiring," Ayers said.
    A few students gathered outside the police station during the news conference. Some were concerned that the officer shot and killed Collar.
    Macy Meadows, 19, of Fairhope, said that when she arrived on campus early Saturday morning an officer was not allowing traffic near the police station.
    She said she had to park and walk to her dormitory. At the time, she said she didn't realize there had been a shooting on campus.
    She said she later received an email from the university in regard to the shooting.
    "If he didn't have a weapon, I feel like he shouldn't have been shot," said Meadows, a sophomore.
    Kinsey Miller, 19, of Pace, Fla., said she considers the campus to be safe, but she has concerns that are similar to Meadows'.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    There was an OIS nearby and the same type of geniuses were saying they would have done something different. They always seem to question whether deadly force needed to be used. Isn't it amazing that these people seem to know how to handle these types of situations better than the police? Why do we even call the police? Next time shots are fired we should just call these people and see how they handle the situation...without a gun (cause you can't kill anyone) and see how things turn out. Why aren't people calling them? I'd like them to make their phone numbers available and the next time someone starts shooting at night, we'll call them and they can come unarmed and talk their way out of the situation. Funny how they always call the police when they face real trouble. Hypocrites as well as boneheads.
    lewisipso likes this.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    I'd also question why an unarmed man was shot.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan 42 View Post
    I'd also question why an unarmed man was shot.
    The problem is the story gives just enough of an account to cause controversy, "When an officer exited the station to investigate, he was confronted by a muscular, nude man who was acting erratically," Ayers said. "The man repeatedly rushed toward the officer and verbally challenged the officer in a fighting stance."

We know nothing about the difference in size or ability of either participant of the shooting. This is why, as if pertains to critical incidents, I hate people giving media statements on the facts of the case. Give the basics of there was a shooting on campus, it involved the shooting of student, there are no indications that this is an on going situation, and we along with other agencies are investigating all aspects of this incident.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    This came out today. The guy shot was a wrestler: University of South Alabama, DA continue review of shooting death | al.com

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    So now we knew he was a <130lb wrestler we not only have the regular panel of drugs and alcohol to test for, but he may have been demented through dehydration. All hail (university banner of your choice).

I'm with Trojan until further notice.

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    In the UK our rules state. ''A person armed or otherwise so dangerous that he cannot be restrained by any other means'' (or words to that effect) . So, a definite no shoot scenario for UK officers.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I tend to agree Trojan, but I don't like making a judgement without all the facts.

CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO
    It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Old Scottish Motto- "nemo me impune laccessit". It still holds true today.

Thread Information