Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Xiphos
  • 1 Post By MacLean

Thread: Woman Arrested For Spreading Facebook Photos Of Undercover Cop

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Woman Arrested For Spreading Facebook Photos Of Undercover Cop

From Police: Woman Arrested For Spreading Facebook Photos Of Undercover Cop « CBS Houston

Woman Arrested For Spreading Facebook Photos Of Undercover Cop

MESQUITE, Texas (CBS HOUSTON) – A North Texas woman has been arrested after being accused of posting Facebook photos of an undercover policeman who testified against her friend in court.

The Dallas Morning News reports that her friend, George Pickens, 34, was upset about the officer’s testimony and found his photograph on Facebook while researching him online.

Pickens’ brother, Bobby Stedham, used the photo to make fliers, and the two men planned to display them like garage sale signs, according to the affidavit. Police reported finding them while searching Pickens’ Dallas-area house.

Stedham, 26, has been charged with retaliation

Mitch Landry, the deputy executive director of the Texas Municipal Police Association in Austin, said his organization has discussed with its members the perils of social media — particularly for those involved in undercover work.

“Our best advice is — if you don’t want that information out there, don’t have those accounts,” Landry told the newspaper. “There’s no way to be truly anonymous if you have a Facebook page.”

Rest at link

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The undercover cop was a dipshit for leaving his photo open on Facebook.
    Pudge, lewisipso and MacLean like this.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Thing I wonder is with their facial detection and tagging will it even matter if you take down open photos? Once you've given them your name and a reference photo (which is never deleted even if the account is) will uploading an image from the local paper's website, or a cellphone snap, etc, allow someone to reverse lookup you years later? I have my issues with Facebook anyway, but Google and Apple are doing the same thing, this is a more basic question of when you need to go stealth to ever be so. Now to go 'out there' a bit imagine the spy novel Clancy could write around it if he still wrote his own books. Cardinal of the Kernal perhaps? Anyway, enough daydreaming.

Just another headache. Computers: making life easier since *bbzzt* excuse me, got a new Tweet to check.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I fail to see how this charge can be supported.

He put his picture in the public domain.
    Pudge likes this.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    I fail to see how this charge can be supported.

He put his picture in the public domain.
    I agree with you. Without researching their section of law at the moment, I wonder if they feel that they can make a case based on the risk to him that could be caused by publicly identifying him as an undercover officer. (Not that he apparently didn't do a good enough job of that on his own.)
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Fernman is offline Traveling Man
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    Thing I wonder is with their facial detection and tagging will it even matter if you take down open photos? Once you've given them your name and a reference photo (which is never deleted even if the account is) will uploading an image from the local paper's website, or a cellphone snap, etc, allow someone to reverse lookup you years later? I have my issues with Facebook anyway, but Google and Apple are doing the same thing, this is a more basic question of when you need to go stealth to ever be so. Now to go 'out there' a bit imagine the spy novel Clancy could write around it if he still wrote his own books. Cardinal of the Kernal perhaps? Anyway, enough daydreaming.

Just another headache. Computers: making life easier since *bbzzt* excuse me, got a new Tweet to check.
    Face.com, the company that provides FB it's facial recognition software, claims to be only 5 or so years out from open source facial recognition due to the massive storage of peoples photos on social media. Meaning it will be theoretically feasible to take a picture of a complete stranger and learn their identity.

Not to mention stalking from geotags, all kinds of good stuff.
    http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z311/WCC54321/TREX-IN-F14-2.gif
    These days go by like trucks and trains
    Some hit so hard you barely feel a thing...

These times count down like boats and planes
    Some wash away in undertow
    Some plummet down in flames

All opinions expressed by "Fernman" on OfficerResource.com are solely my personal opinions. They in no way reflect the views of my agency and employers. The First Amendment is my divine shield for my sarcasm and bitching. Reading further may cause detached retinas, bleeding ulcers, and wrist cancer.

Thread Information