On the morning of May 13, a man stopped an officer in the lobby of Glendale police headquarters and asked for help.“I know this is gonna sound crazy,” the man said, “but I feel like there are people following me. I feel like there was a chopper. Do you hear a chopper?” “We don't have a helicopter up in Glendale,” the officer replied.AUDIO: Bank executive tells police he's on bath saltsOver the next 11 minutes, in a conversation the officer recorded, the man explained why he felt “a little paranoid.” He’d recently been snorting “white lightning,” he said, a type of synthetic drug known as bath salts that can trigger hallucinations and combativeness.“I’ve probably used it 20 times,” the man said.The man, police said, turned out to be a managing director and vice chairman at Deutsche Bank, Brian C. Mulligan. He previously served as co-chairman of Universal Pictures and chairman of News Corp.'s Fox Television.Within days of his exchange with the Glendale officer, Mulligan was laid up in the hospital after a violent -– and highly publicized -– encounter with two Los Angeles Police Department officers.Mulligan has filed a $50-million claim with the city, a precursor to a lawsuit. He alleged the LAPD officers dragged him to a motel in Highland Park, threatened to kill him if he left and then, when they discovered he'd escaped, beat him so badly that he suffered 15 fractures to his nose and required dozens of stitches.Mulligan also said the officers manufactured a report that painted him as a snarling, thrashing man who told them that he'd recently ingested “bath salts” and feared he was being chased.
Glendale police: bank exec recorded claiming he used bath salts - latimes.com