Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Police use Taser on blind man after stick mistaken for sword

Standard Dave is offline Constable

Police use Taser on blind man after stick mistaken for sword

BBC News - Police use Taser on blind man after stick mistaken for sword

A police force has apologised after an officer used a Taser on a blind man whose white stick was mistaken for a sword.
    The man was stunned by police following reports of a man walking through Chorley with a samurai sword on Friday.
    Ch Supt Stuart Williams, of Lancashire Police, said the force deeply regrets" and had "clearly put this man through a traumatic experience".
    The man was taken to hospital for treatment and later discharged.
    The case has been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.
    A man carrying a samurai sword was later arrested on suspicion of being drunk and disorderly.
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    While I'm concerned that the cane was mistaken for the sword (use, manner of carry, even appearance are rather different! Unless you're talking about the Zaitochi movies...), the key to me is this:
    "Despite asking the man to stop, he failed to do so and the officer discharged his Taser."
    Had the guy simply stopped and obeyed the officer's commands, I doubt he'd have been Tased.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

The man was taken to hospital for treatment and later discharged.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Did the blind man realize the cop was talking to him? If he did realize he was being spoken to, did he really know it was a cop and not a robbery?

I've seen blind people walking in public. I think I know the difference between that and a belligerent drunk, or sword wielding maniac. Poor observational skills, and bad judgment.
    Trojan 42 and Odd like this.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I'm sure Motorway is envious! He NEVER got to use his Taser!
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Because I exercised restraint dear boy.

That and the fact it requires several forms to be filled out should you discharge said taser.
    Rhino likes this.
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Tango Zulu 22 is offline Duncopperin!
    Verified LEO
    A non compliant subject answering the description of the alleged offender and you are well within the 21 foot range of said X26 thus putting yourself within the attack range of the offender.

If he makes an aggressive move, do you react first or wait to have to wait to counter him?

Remember action beats reaction.

You don't have a gun an probably cannot safely disengage.

None of us were there but as usual, the officer is guilty without trial.

Makes me glad I don't carry anymore.

Please do not base your 9.00am shudder squad deductions on what the BBC puts out.

As an aside, why was a taser officer sent in the first place, should have been an armed response.

This in itself would warrant a fully documented firearms debrief as it shows a failure of the command structure.
    A common mistake made when trying to come up with a totally foolproof design is to completely underestimate the innate ingenuity of fools.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you but it's still there on my list of options, so are you coming quietly.........?

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorwaycop View Post
    Because I exercised restraint dear boy.

That and the fact it requires several forms to be filled out should you discharge said taser.
    I'm thinking that if you'd have had the opportunity, that the "discharge" from the taser wouldn't have been the only one!
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Tango Zulu 22 View Post

As an aside, why was a taser officer sent in the first place, should have been an armed response.
    You've met some of the control room insp before haven't you
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

Tango Zulu 22 is offline Duncopperin!
    Verified LEO
    Too bloody right.

Very few of them turned up at Firearms Training for the tactics sessions, those who did were generally good to work with, then there was the rest of them.......
    A common mistake made when trying to come up with a totally foolproof design is to completely underestimate the innate ingenuity of fools.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you but it's still there on my list of options, so are you coming quietly.........?

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Sorry Tango, but I have to disagree. As a National Firearms Instructor Instructor, I'd certainly question why it was necessary to use a taser so early and I would definitely question the suitability of that officer to remain authorised.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    It became common practice if an ARV was not nearby to send taser only officers to reports of offender with bladed weapon here.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Quote Originally Posted by Motorwaycop View Post
    It became common practice if an ARV was not nearby to send taser only officers to reports of offender with bladed weapon here.
    I'd be happy to have taser only officers for a kitchen knife (we don't have any proper deployable response resourse with taser it's still an ARV and gucci little squad skill here) but we usually got ARVs especially when you question the size of the blade and asked for PSU tactics

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan 42 View Post
    I would definitely question the suitability of that officer to remain authorised.
    I don't think there can be much doubt he will be not be authorised to carry taser in the future.

On the other hand he sounds an ideal candidate for firearms. Seems a level headed sort of chap!
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Not saying it's the case here, but I'm starting to see more and more young cops hug that TASER when a more personable approach would have worked just as well.

I remember backing up two officers on a brief vehicle chase. The driver was DUI. The two officers stood there with their TASERs drawn yelling commands. Dummy was so effed up he could barely stand, let alone understand what we being screamed at him. I told them to try not to tase me as I walked up, proned they guy out from his car and cuffed him.

The TASER is a nice tool to have. But if it's all you know, good luck when the day comes it malfunctions.
    Captain America likes this.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Although all tools are prone to malfunction the first tool that should be used in one's brain.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Not saying it's the case here, but I'm starting to see more and more young cops hug that TASER when a more personable approach would have worked just as well.

I remember backing up two officers on a brief vehicle chase. The driver was DUI. The two officers stood there with their TASERs drawn yelling commands. Dummy was so effed up he could barely stand, let alone understand what we being screamed at him. I told them to try not to tase me as I walked up, proned they guy out from his car and cuffed him.

The TASER is a nice tool to have. But if it's all you know, good luck when the day comes it malfunctions.
    You make a very good point. The Taser is a tool -- and should be used when appropriate, like any other force option. That means when it's likely to provide control of the subject with the least chance of injury to either the subject or the officer. The case you describe is one where it's clear there was no real need for any force beyond hands. I used the Taser on a guy a month or so back; he told me he was an MMA fighter, had slipped the cuffs to front, and the Taser allowed us to control him with the least risk to us or him when he bucked and ran. Had we fought -- there was a good chance of injury. The Taser let me control him with almost no injury. Right tool, right time.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post

These are all valid points. What you said and depts. that make stupid use of force policies where the officers must use a taser first before going hands on is why your getting all these negative taser stories about 80 year old grandmas being tasered. To me the taser should be used like a baton, a weapon of last resort that you use on a suspect after open hands is not working because the suspect is bigger , stronger or more skilled than you. It could be also used from a safe distant when a suspect is armed with an impact or edged weapon(make sure he's not feeling for a curb with his cane first) and threatening to use it and won't put the edge/impact weapon down after being ordered to do so. Period. End of story.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    a suspect with a blade has a lethal weapon in his hands. Why are we going to a less lethal use of force? It's a good way to get an officer killed
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    a suspect with a blade has a lethal weapon in his hands. Why are we going to a less lethal use of force? It's a good way to get an officer killed
    Again we are gonna go with the Lew's using your brain as a weapon thingy. I did say if you were at safe distant . Of course you should have a cover officer ready to employ deadly force should the taser not work as advertised and the suspect decides to advance. No one believes more in having undead officers than me.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information