Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Do you think this man should have to register as a sex offender for this?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he is a pervert

9 15.25%
  • No, I don't think that is right

46 77.97%
  • Unsure

4 6.78%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Man jailed and must register as a sex offender for slapping a policewoman's butt

A LABOURER was jailed for a month and put on the sex offenders register for seven years after he slapped the bottom of an off-duty policewoman.

Anthony O'Neill, 22, was stunned when he was given the sentence. His relatives are furious and say the punishment is over-the-top for, what they say, was a silly joke. They say he has lost his job and been branded "a pervert".

O'Neill, pictured, ended up in trouble while he was drinking in a city centre street at 11am one day in November.

He told a court he thought it would be funny to smack the woman's behind when she bent down near him. Instead, the woman officer produced a police warrant card and arrested him.

O'Neill, of Goredale Avenue, Gorton, admitted sexual assault at Manchester Magistrates' Court. District Judge Paul Richardson told him: "What you did was insulting and demeaning - it was anything but funny."

Jailed

As well as being put on the register, he was jailed for a month but immediately released because he had already spent five weeks in custody.

After he was arrested, O'Neill admitted: "I have done it before. Some women like it, others don't." Outside court, O'Neill claimed he only admitted the sex assault charge because he wanted to be released after being held for 16 hours. He is considering an appeal.

He said: "I should have been sent away because it's taught me a lesson not to smack a woman's bum. But to be put on the sex offenders register is just daft."

'Drink'

O'Neill's mother, Karen, said: "I think it is terrible. People will see that and wonder what on earth has he done, and think it must be very serious. Rapists and serious sex abusers get put on for that long.

"He wouldn't harm anyone. Everyone can get a bit out of hand when they've had a drink."

The sex offenders register was set up in 1997 and holds details of about 29,000 people convicted, cautioned or released from prison for a sexual offence against children or adults.

Convicted sex offenders must register with the police within three days of their conviction or release from prison and failure to do so can result in prison. They must also inform police if they change their name or address.

kdm0409 is offline ^ Female Deputy
    I'm sorry, I a female officer so here is what I would have done. I probably would have turned around and knocked the T-Total shit out of the guy and I seriously doubt that I would have even thought about charging the guy with anything. But probably to cover my ass (not literally) for me smacking the crap out of him I would have come up with something. lol.. But it is way beyond ridiculous that he has to register as a sex offender for that.
    It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.
    ______________________________ __________
    An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break.
    In vino veritas!

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Smacks KDM on the ass

Lo523 is offline Master Officer
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    It is absolutely crazy that he has to register as a sex offender. There were loads of other ways she could have got her own back on him. A swift kick in the nuts, often offends!

kdm0409 is offline ^ Female Deputy
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginian
    Smacks KDM on the ass

I said I would knock the T-Total Shit out of someone lol

I've got something else for you to do !! lol
    It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.
    An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break.
    In vino veritas!

Supporting Member Lvl 2

MonsterMash is offline Proud 3%er
    Some of these "sex offenders" in my opinion......aren't. A friend of mine showed me a website for registered sex offenders where this woman was charged and convicted of giving her hubby a blowjob in their car. It was in a parking lot at night and deserted. What kinda bonehead cops charges for that? The officer should have just sent them on their way.
    Are you a 3%er? If you aren't, you should be.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I work with one, but haven't asked anyone what he got on there for. Rather not know.

zpd307 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    nope, being charged with something would be good enough. as far as being charged in the first place...... i would hate to think that she did it because she felt that she had something to prove as a female cop.
    MANNNNN.... YOU MUST BE FAST, BECAUSE I WAS HAULIN ASS WHEN I PASSED YOU!

TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO
    I'd like to know more about his criminal history (or lack of it). Some folks earn their way on to a list because of A + B and now C = list.
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

refusetostop is offline Special Operations
    I think the officer did the right thing by charging him. I just think being put on the list was a little over the top.
    Obedience of the law is demanded; not asked as a favor.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Roses is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zpd307
    nope, being charged with something would be good enough. as far as being charged in the first place...... i would hate to think that she did it because she felt that she had something to prove as a female cop.
    After he was arrested, O'Neill admitted: "I have done it before. Some women like it, others don't."
    I think it probably had to do with his attitude and responses to her. I seriously doubt because she had something to prove as a female cop. I have a strong feeling that he made a similar comment as the one above before he was arrested. He sees nothing wrong with what he did or has done.
    Last edited by Roses; 05-16-06 at 03:37 PM.
    http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/1369/rosekdrosetransp9fk2eb.gif

A Smile

A smile cost nothing, but gives so much.

It enriches those who receive it,
    without making poorer those who give.
    It takes but a moment, but the memory
    of it sometimes lasts forever.

None is so rich or mighty that he
    can get along without it,
    and none is so poor but that
    he can be made rich by it.

A smile creates happiness in the home,
    fosters goodwill in business,
    and is the countersign of friendship.

It brings rest to the weary,
    cheer to the discouraged, sunshine to the sad,
    and it is nature's best antidote for trouble.

Yet it cannot be bought, begged, borrowed,
    or stolen, for it is something that is of no
    value to anyone until it is given away.

Some people are too tired to give you a smile.
    Give them one of yours, as none needs a smile
    so much as he who has no more to give.

- author unknown

NavLaw is offline Officer First Class
    Hard to say without knowing all the facts. But from what I see in here, it sounds like someone's a bit bage heavy.
    If you can't do it from a boat. Do you really want to do it?

katiemh Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LawEnforcementForums
    A LABOURER was jailed for a month and put on the sex offenders register for seven years after he slapped the bottom of an off-duty policewoman.

Instead, the woman officer produced a police warrant card and arrested him.

I think this is extremely ridiculous for several reasons. 1) She was off-duty, not in uniform. 2) he slapped her on the butt.

If it were me, I'd have turned around told him to fuck off and walked away. At that point, she was being seen as a female, not as a cop. She should've reacted as such. She was insulted as a woman, not as a cop. Situation dictates necessary and pertinent reaction.

What she did seems ridiculous. If they had prior interaction when she was in a law enforcement capacity, then that's a whole other story, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It seems this woman doesn't get her butt slapped enough.

As far as the registery thing, I can't even comment. I'm suspicious of whether he has past history at all... I didn't read the whole article.
    Last edited by katiemh; 05-16-06 at 06:21 PM.

FishTail Guest
    I can tell you my best guess of how this came about.

1. She got slapped on the butt (or bum as we say in England) and decided to take action, and so arrested the guy.

2. The Crown Prosecution Service reviewed the file and determined the best charge to be one of sexual assault (legally true, but a bit OTT here I think. Assault would have worked just as well)

3. He was duly charged and convicted of sexual assault.

4. Following conviction, the court had to place him on the Sex Offender Register. There is no discretion in the matter.

He fell foul of an inflexible charging system, which charged the technically correct offence but in the wrong circumstances. He also fell foul of the automatic-inclusion rule for sexual offences.

I don't know why she nicked him in the first place. Maybe he got mouthy with her when she told him to fuck off. Who knows?

bigdog21 is offline Officer First Class
    What is a police warrant card is that like an agency ID?

FishTail Guest
    It's our form of badge and ID.

It's called a warrant card because it's our authority to present to a magistrate (judge) to prove we're authorised by law to apply for warrants (search, arrest etc).

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Damn, next time I'm in the UK and I feel the urge to slap a womens "bum" I'll do it and blame it on the guy next to me! Maybe even try to "cop a feel"
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

bigdog21 is offline Officer First Class
    so its basically a police commission card

FishTail Guest
    I've no idea what a police commission card is.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information