Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Police and retailers prepare for Black Friday crowds and chaos

According to Richard Mellor, the vice president for loss prevention at the National Retail Federation, stores around the nation are considering ways to mitigate such violence, including having customers line up inside the store to keep the mad rush for the door to a minimum.
    "Arguing seems to center around who was in place first," says Mellor, so tickets or colored wristbands indicating, for example, the first 50 people in line, could help control frustration.Mellor says that retailers will also strategically place the most popular items in locations throughout the store that have easy access for crowds and proximity to cashiers.Target stores will have security in parking lots before the stores open and plan to maintain a 10-foot "buffer" between the beginning of the line outside and the front doors, according to spokesman Evan Miller.
    In San Leandro, Calif. - where a man was shot in the neck outside a Walmart on last year's Black Friday - Lt. Randy Brandt of the San Leandro police says that officers will be stationed at big retailers planning overnight Black Friday events to help with any problems.
    And at the Porter Ranch, Calif. Walmart where Elizabeth Macias pepper sprayed fellow shoppers in 2011, local media reports that this year the store has hired 27 additional security guards, including four carrying guns.

Black Friday Violence: Police and retailers prepare for crowds and chaos - Crimesider - CBS News

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I picked up some time tomorrow night for Wal Mart's black Friday. I like holidays off when I get them, but for what they're paying I couldn't resist.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    The only upside I can see to earlier store openings is that maybe, just maybe, less people will be out drinking at the bars and will be shopping instead. The downside is that there are a lot more potential victims of DWI crashes out there.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    How is this news? I swear the newspaper needs a "No Sh*t" section.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    My two co-workers on the task force with me wanted to come in early to help work the black friday crowds.

I said F that. They both picked up OT shifts from midnight tonight to 0700, then are doing their 10 hour shifts.

I told them I'd be in when I'm in, probably around 10
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I heard today that Wal-Mart here was requesting 10 off-duty officers for tonight and nobody signed up. I think there was plenty of other details that would not be so crazy.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I just got home a little bit ago. Aside from one guy getting a little grabby and taking something from someone else's grasp, it was uneventful.

It was pretty disturbing though. People grabbing armfuls of second rate movies simply because they were cheap, etc. The high dollar item sales went smooth.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Thread Information