Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Legal loophole allows DNA of those who were executed to be added to FBI's national database

He was convicted in 1980 of killing 33 men and boys in the Chicago area between 1972 and 1978, but investigators always suspected he had more victims than the 28 found in the space beneath his house and in a nearby river.His DNA was never added to the FBI's national DNA database -- officially called the Combined DNA Index System or CODIS -- because it didn't exist when he was put to death in 1994. Illinois law did not provide for the DNA of convicted killers not in prison after it was enacted in 2002 to be added.
    But Cook County, Illinois, sheriff's detective Jason Moran, who discovered vials of Gacy's blood in the cold case file a year ago, also found a legal loophole that allowed Gacy's DNA and that of others to be entered into the database.
    Moran learned that when the state executes an inmate, the coroner lists the manner of death as homicide. The law allows for the DNA of homicide victims to be added to the database, the sheriff said.
    Cold case cops find new DNA strategy - CNN.com

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Maybe this way some families can get closure for their loved ones.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Good outside the box thinking.

Via Tapatalk.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Thread Information