Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

TSA screener charged with stealing iPads planted in police sting

A veteran airport screener at New York's JFK Airport has been charged with grand larceny after he allegedly stole two iPads that were planted in a checked bag as part of a police sting.Port Authority police initiated the sting after passengers complained of electronic devices being taken from luggage.
    Veteran screener at New York's JFK airport charged with grand larceny - CNN.com

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Shocking.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

IndianaFuzz is online now Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Who puts something like that in their checked luggage?
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

cajunguy is offline I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaFuzz View Post
    You'd be surprised what people do at an airport.

We handle lost and found at our terminal, and regularly get I-Pads, laptops, cell phones, you name it, people get up and walk away leaving all sorts of stuff behind.

Found a laptop laying on a chair in our boarding area a couple of weeks ago, and just so happened to remember the lady and two kids that had been sitting there. I picked the laptop up and went looking for her. Found her at one of the airline counters, and holding her laptop behind my back, asked her if she had possibly forgotten something on the upper level. This goomba looks around and said, QUITE SERIOUSLY, "One of my kids?" Then realizing she had both kids with her, I showed her the laptop, and she said that, yes, it was hers. She just got up and walked away, leaving it sitting on the chair where anybody could have picked it up.

Driver's licenses, passports, BOARDING PASSES - HUH? (how you gonna get on the freakin' airplane without that) watches, assorted jewelry, jackets, other assorted pieces of clothing, keyrings (with keys), wallets, you name it, we find it.

Maybe they should put everything in checked luggage. (Well, except maybe for the boarding pass. They might need that.)

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    I'm not surprised one bit. Other thieves at airports include airline employees and the aircraft cleaning crew. I see it frequently.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    We arrested a guy who worked at our airport for stealing an Ipad that was left on the plane.

He wasn't home when we knocked. His wife let us in, showed us the Ipad, along with a bunch of other stolen property. Her husband told her that as part of his job, he was allowed to keep anything that was left on a plane. She believed him
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaFuzz View Post
    People who aren't Angry Bird addicts? People who pack well? People?

How about we castigate the offenders, not the victims? Pre-agreed by me. And we're moving

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    People who aren't Angry Bird addicts? People who pack well? People?

How about we castigate the offenders, not the victims? Pre-agreed by me. And we're moving
    Also people who are maybe packing them as presents?

I see where IF is coming from, though. I don't "blame the victim". But sometimes people are the victims of crime. Sometimes they're the victim of their own stupidity. I don't think this is the case, though. This is just another shining example of the uselessness of the TSA.

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Thread Information