Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 28 of 28
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Brownells sells 3.5 years’ worth of magazines in 72 hours

  1. #21
    Xiphos's Avatar
    Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    03-09-08
    Location
    Thermopylae
    Posts
    8,378
    Rep Power
    7772239
    Quote Originally Posted by Standard Dave View Post
    If it's about crime stats everyone should surely be researching the Japanese system of law enforcement, firearms licencing, criminal justice and punishment. On average they come out best in all the catagories compared and in the other tables and stats I found online.
    Switzerland is really good too, and everyone is armed. Gun Controls - in America?
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

    That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

    If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

    I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

    Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

  2. #22
    lewisipso's Avatar
    lewisipso is online now Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    02-02-07
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    14,720
    Rep Power
    6936011
    Quote Originally Posted by Standard Dave View Post
    The NRA suggesting of making schools into prisons is deeply flawed the next person would ambush a school bus attack a sunday school or church, enter a toy store on a saturday afternoon etc.
    I'm not getting into crime statistics or what government system of gun control is best or not. However, regardless of what the NRA may have said, it isn't about turning a school into a prison. It's about restricting movement and access. An idea I truly support.
    Every school I visited in our jurisdiction had either area's that simply cannot be protected or every damn door on the joint was unlocked. The classroom doors have keyed locks on the outside and nothing on the inside. That's just plain crazy. I understand that almost any locked door can be breached. A shotgun is a wonderful tool. The idea is to slow the shooter down as much as possible until the guys with guns can get there. If a person wants another person or persons dead nothing will stop them. Slowing them down until we, or maybe even a properly armed and properly trained citizen or teacher, get there is another story.
    Speaking of restricting movement and access this idea can apply to any building including the ones you mentioned. I'm no expert on buses and again nothing is perfect but if someone is trying to get on the bus that doesn't belong,,,gas it.

    jmho
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

    We are who we choose to be.

    R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012


  3. #23
    MacLean's Avatar
    MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    09-05-07
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    11,802
    Rep Power
    4584772
    Quote Originally Posted by Standard Dave View Post
    If it's about crime stats everyone should surely be researching the Japanese system of law enforcement, firearms licencing, criminal justice and punishment. On average they come out best in all the catagories compared and in the other tables and stats I found online.
    Yeah, I think I'd rather live in a free country.
    pgg and Odd like this.
    I'm your huckleberry...

    Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

    You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.


    I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...



  4. #24
    Standard Dave's Avatar
    Standard Dave is offline Constable
    Join Date
    04-08-06
    Location
    East Midlands (UK)
    Posts
    1,615
    Rep Power
    2100372
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    Switzerland is really good too, and everyone is armed. Gun Controls - in America?
    Every male between 18-30 is a military reservist and many of the weapons are supplied by the state, they simply don't have the survivalist and conspiracy theory culture thats developed in North America and some other parts of Europe.

    Iceland and Northern Ireland also out perform the US and England & Wales on the statistics with armed Police and Military but strict control on the civilian population.
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

  5. #25
    Odd's Avatar
    Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Join Date
    10-08-08
    Posts
    2,056
    Rep Power
    2508663
    More news out of the gun control nirvana :

    "Thirteen middle school children were injured when an enraged man, upset by a court ruling in the murder of his daughter, rammed his car loaded with a gas tank and firecrackers into a group of 23 students in northern China, officials said on Tuesday."

    I expect this too will be held up as a winning result of how few die when someone uses something other than a gun. Knives, hammers, cleavers, and now cars are so much safer to the victim - how does this progression go? Vans, Ryder trucks..airliners? Murderous bastards use what's available. 168 died on day not so long ago without a shot being fired: more recently 3000.

    Should we make it less easy for murderers to perform their trade? Sure, but gun control only addresses one very narrow aspect of one vector. This particular tool has other crucial values which serve a useful purpose in society, just as knives, hammers, cleavers, cars and airplanes do.

  6. #26
    MacLean's Avatar
    MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    09-05-07
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    11,802
    Rep Power
    4584772
    I might be wrong but the US right to keep and bear arms isn't about crime prevention, it's about freedom from úoppression from a foreign backed bid to change your governmental system. The context has changed and while the size of magazines which this thread was about might be a side show it's actually about the degree of control. You are already banned from having automatic weapons

    Well yes, you're wrong. Also, we are not in fact prohibited from having automatic weapons. That's a state law issue.
    I'm your huckleberry...

    Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

    You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.


    I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...



  7. #27
    Standard Dave's Avatar
    Standard Dave is offline Constable
    Join Date
    04-08-06
    Location
    East Midlands (UK)
    Posts
    1,615
    Rep Power
    2100372
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    Well yes, you're wrong. Also, we are not in fact prohibited from having automatic weapons. That's a state law issue.
    The ability to use your weapons held under the 2nd Amendment for self defence isn't in the 2nd amendment. The wording mentions nothing of it. State and then National legislation that allowed those weapons to be used for other lawful purposes.

    Text of the 2nd Amendment

    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
    June 2008 before the supreme court actually clairifed what they thought it means and it's effect on self defence. They changed earlier rulings and also clarified that certain weapons and activities can be restricted.
    http://www.loc.gov/law/help/second-amendment.php
    Last edited by Standard Dave; 12-28-12 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Added link.
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

  8. #28
    MacLean's Avatar
    MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    09-05-07
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    11,802
    Rep Power
    4584772
    The constitution is not silent Dave, it was supported by the writings of the time.
    I'm your huckleberry...

    Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

    You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.


    I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...



 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •