Welcome to the APBWeb.
    lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Obama signs law giving himself, Bush lifetime Secret Service guard

Former presidents have to give up rides on Air Force One. But now they don't have to give up being shadowed by the armed-and-earpieced bodyguards of the Secret Service.
    President Barack Obama on Thursday signed into a law a measure giving him, George W. Bush and future former presidents and their spouses lifetime Secret Service protection, the White House announced.
    The legislation, crafted by Republican Rep. Trey Gowdy of South Carolina, rolls back a mid-1990s law that imposed a 10-year limit on Secret Service protection for former presidents. Bush would have been the first former commander in chief affected.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/o...-politics.html
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I actually don't have a problem with this. Regardless of who POTUS is, I respect the office itself...the idea of having a POTUS. I may not like Obama's policies, but I don't wish death or physical harm upon him. His assassination is not something that would help our country, currently or 20 years down the road. That extends, IMO, to after their term is complete. Again, regardless of what you think about a particular POTUS, I think we can all agree that the job takes a tremendous toll on the health and physical well-being of the man in office, and has monumentous effects on their families as well. They deserve to be, if not taken care of, at least protected after they leave office. In addition, the target isn't always lifted off of their back once they leave office. If we're going to spend a couple billion studying how sea urchins give birth or other such nonsense, I have no problem giving my POTUS lifetime protection.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Of course they'll have armed protection after we get ours taken away.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I understand what you are saying 121. However, have there been any problems with the way things have been with the 10 years? I ask that legitimately because I searched for that but didn't find anything. Maybe if this current president wasn't doing things he isn't supposed to he wouldn't need more than the current 10 years of protection. jmho.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I actually though the ten years was enough.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    One thought, regarding Obama especially. His kids are currently 15 and 11. A little older than I initially thought -- but still they'll be rather vulnerable when he's out of office in 2017. Yeah -- ten years beyond that covers him and them well into adulthood, but even without those concerns, I have a hard time begrudging any former President protection.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I do not wish to begrudge protection either. I'm just wondering is there any problem with the current set up or is extending it to life just a sign of the times?

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    How many assassination attempts have there been on retired presidents? Clinton is still active and it's been more than 10 years so he must not have protection, and he's been without it for several years now right?

I'm all for it if there's an ongoing threat or problem but an automatic extension just because? No.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    I'm not 100% certain -- but I believe that they have the option to use the protection or not.

My concern isn't even so much protecting them against some sort of action rooted in the future as freeing them up to act today, without feeling the concern that they might face some form of retribution from someone down the road. If they have to make a call, I want them to feel that they'll continue to have the best protection as long as they feel it's necessary -- not for an arbitrary period. Not sure I'm coming through clearly, but I think the idea is there.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    How many assassination attempts have there been on retired presidents? Clinton is still active and it's been more than 10 years so he must not have protection, and he's been without it for several years now right?.
    The only danger Clinton faces is a pissed off husband or boyfriend of his latest paramour.

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Sorry for the double post. I only wish someone would enact a law protecting us from Pres. Obama.

luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    This is the only one I could find. Crazy guy wanted to give Bush a "spiritual message."

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/Man-a...138003848.html

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
    This is the only one I could find. Crazy guy wanted to give Bush a "spiritual message."

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/Man-a...138003848.html
    Roger this and thanks. I didn't find anything. Well within the 10 year period though.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    How many assassination attempts have there been on retired presidents? Clinton is still active and it's been more than 10 years so he must not have protection, and he's been without it for several years now right?

I'm all for it if there's an ongoing threat or problem but an automatic extension just because? No.
    Clinton *was* to be the last Prez with lifetime security - which he bills the government to house.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Thread Information