Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bayern

Thread: Background checks could be gun control deal breaker

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Background checks could be gun control deal breaker

The idea of expanded background checks for prospective gun owners is quickly becoming the battleground in Congress for any changes in national weapons control legislation.
    In nearly a dozen national polls from varying organizations, an overwhelming large number of people seem in favor of more background checks on gun owners.
    A Quinnipiac poll covering three states, Virginia, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania, showed that more than 90 percent of those polled favored expanding background checks to people who buy weapons at gun shows.
    Last week, Constitution Daily looked at polling questions on guns from nine different sources, including Fox News, NBC, ABC, Pew Research, and Gallup.
    On average, 89 percent of those people polled wanted expanded background checks. The background check issue, along with a desire to devote more resources to mental health issues, were the two ideas that had overwhelmingly large support in the polls.
    At Wednesday’s gun violence hearings in Washington, the National Rifle Association and a key GOP senator downplayed the significance of expanding background checks.
    “My problem with background checks is you’re never going to get criminals to go through universalbackground checks,” said Wayne LaPierre, CEO for the NRA, told a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing. “None of it makes any sense in the real world.”
    The NRA sees expanding checks to private sales and at guns shows as ineffective measures.
    That doesn’t mean the NRA isn’t supporting other efforts related to background checks.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

SteelCityK9Cop is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Let's see..... background checks won't stop any of the people we arrest for gun crimes every year.. most are prohibited persons.

Backgrounds won't stop people from breaking into your house, stealing your guns and selling them on the street.

Backgrounds won't stop your junkie kid from trading your guns for heroin or oxys.

Backgrounds won't stop idiots with mentally I'll family members from leaving guns access able.

Fail.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    The problem with regulations and background checks is simple:

People not known for playing nice with others and following the rules aren't going to suddenly start doing so because a new law is passed. And to think otherwise is naive, at best.

I know... Preaching to the choir.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    It's ludicrous that I would have to have background checks done to give my wife a firearm or to sell one to someone that I know. This is nothing more then an attempt to get records and registration without the words. History has shown us that when governments start registration mass killings follow (turkey, Germany, Russia, Cambodia, & china).

Not to mention what the other commenters already said. This will do ZERO to prevent any further killings. To think otherwise is to have your head in the sand.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    It doesn't make a difference if you lie on a background check. Pea Brain Biden says they don't have time to check and prosecute.
    lewisipso likes this.

Thread Information