- Two videos were released Monday showing Pakistani schoolgirl Malala Yousufzai speaking publicly for the first time since she was shot by the Taliban in October for campaigning for female education.
The first, recorded by a public relations company on Jan. 22, days before the 15-year-old underwent complex cranial and auricular reconstruction surgery at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham, features Malala announcing the launch of a special fund for girls’ education in Pakistan. She speaks clearly with some stiffness on one side of her face.“Today you can see that I am alive and I can speak," she said. "I can see you, I can see everyone and today I can speak. I am getting better day by day ... because of the prayers of people, because of the men, the women, the children. … This is a second life, this is a new life and I want to serve, I was to serve the people, and I want every girl, every child to be educated and for that reason we have organized the Malala fund.”She repeated her messages in English, Urdu and Pashtu.
Wounded Pakistani schoolgirl talks about surgery, new girls' fund - latimes.com