• 1 Post By HudsonHawk

Thread: Obama memo justifies drone-war killing of Americans

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Obama memo justifies drone-war killing of Americans

Well, here you go.

Does President Barack Obama have the right to order the assassination of an American anywhere in the world—without any oversight from Congress or the courts, and even if that U.S. citizen is not actively plotting a specific terrorist attack? His administration, in a stunning Justice Department memo laying out a broad legal rationale for the country's ever-expanding drone war, says yes.

The 16-page document, obtained by NBC News, emerged days before John Brennan, Obama's chief counterterrorism adviser and the foremost architect of America’s hugely controversial unmanned aerial vehicle war, goes before the Senate Intelligence Committee in a Thursday hearing on his confirmation as CIA director.
    Obama campaigned in 2008 as a fierce critic of George W. Bush’s national security policies, but he has apparently learned to stop worrying and love nearly unfettered executive power—the literal power of life and death over fellow U.S. citizens overseas thought to be consorting with extremists groups that may be targeting America. So, under what circumstances does he have the right to act?
    The memo says “an informed, high-level official of the U.S. government” (we see how well this worked in Benghazi) must decide that the target is a "senior operational leader" of al-Qaida or "associated forces," “poses an imminent threat of violent attack against the United States,” and that an attempt to capture that individual is “infeasible.”
    “Targeting a member of an enemy force who poses an imminent threat of violent attack to the United States is not unlawful. It is a lawful act of self-defense,” the document asserts.
    "Imminent threat"? That seems reasonable and is a traditional standard for military action. Except that, as NBC investigative reporter Michael Isikoff notes, the memo adds that “the condition that an operational leader present an ‘imminent’ threat of violent attack against the United States does not require the United States to have clear evidence that a specific attack on U.S. persons and interests will take place in the immediate future.”
    Instead, that previously mentioned "high-level official" can determine that the potential target was “recently” involved in “activities” posing a threat of an attack and that “there is no evidence suggesting that he has renounced or abandoned such activities.”
    Isikoff notes the memo does not define "activities" or "recently," leaving that up to the administration to determine on a case-by-case basis.

Obama memo justifies drone-war killing of Americans | The Ticket - Yahoo! News

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/se...hite_Paper.pdf
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Can;'t say what I want.

cajunguy is offline I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by bayern View Post
    Can;'t say what I want.
    I WOULD say what I'm thinking, but black helicopters make me nervous - - - a little.

Come on 2016. IF this country survives that long.

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Drone me first. I'm a bigger threat than a terrorist; I like this country.
    Hell, I invited North Korea to target me, why should I fear a Democrat? That's my problem, I don't live in fear so I'm not politically useful to anyone.

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    Drone me first. I'm a bigger threat than a terrorist; I like this country.
    Hell, I invited North Korea to target me, why should I fear a Democrat? That's my problem, I don't live in fear so I'm not politically useful to anyone.

Yeah, but when the ABC agencies start knocking on you door at 0-dark 30; TSA sets up a check point at your driveway and Drones circle your house, you may become suspicious, even paranoid.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Here's the bottom line. I'll say whatever I damn well please whenever I damn well please. I do however, possess a minute bit of diplomacy and can withhold comment to some extent. If anything I EVER say (outside of a direct threat) causes agencies to knock on doors at dark 30, or any other such activity, it would benefit the executing agency to be perfectly successful the first time. Better come prepared. Mistakes will not be tolerated and I won't allow a do over. I will also add that such activity will cause more than just a disagreement or just moving some furniture. Any and every body can stick that in the fn pipe and smoke it.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I don't mind Gitmo but domestic assassination doesn't sit well with me. What if you have the wrong guy? Hard to undo a Hellfire. I'd also not like being "collateral damage"...
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    I don't mind Gitmo but domestic assassination doesn't sit well with me. What if you have the wrong guy? Hard to undo a Hellfire. I'd also not like being "collateral damage"...
    What's a little shrapnel between komrades?
    Captain America likes this.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

Thread Information