Welcome to the APBWeb.
    lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Trooper fired for offering Florida lawmaker break on speeding ticket

In a rarity among modern American jurisprudence, a state highway trooper has lost his job over a traffic ticket he didn't write ó and now his fight has sparked a wider dispute over who gets preferential treatment for enforcing the law on the road. Does anyone need to guess that this happened in Florida?
    The tale starts last November, when Florida Highway Patrol trooper Charles Swindle stopped state Rep. Charles McBurney, R-Jacksonville, for doing 87 mph in a 70 mph zone. McBurney was driving a Toyota with a license plate identifying him as a state lawmaker; after checking with his sergeant, Swindle told McBurney "I'm cutting you a break" and cited him only for lacking proof of insurance ó a $10 ticket rather than a $280 one that McBurney could have faced.
    According to Florida state investigators, Swindle did the same for another driver he pulled over at the same time, telling his dispatcher ďIím going to write (McBurney) a warning and be nice; Iím going to stroke him ícause I didnít see his insurance card."
    But the episode bothered McBurney (who denied going 87 mph) so much that he wrote to Swindle's superiors on legislature letterhead, complaining that Swindle was favoring state officials. "If those who enforce our laws fail to meet the highest ethical standards, there is erosion of that confidence," McBurney wrote. "I am concerned that as Trooper Swindle acted in such fashion to me, that he would do so to any law-abiding citizen of our state."
    That letter launched an internal investigation, and two weeks ago, Swindle was fired for "conduct unbecoming a public employee."

Trooper fired for offering Florida lawmaker break on speeding ticket | Motoramic - Yahoo! Autos

Jerk.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    He should have just given the warning instead of making up a lesser charge. Or better yet stroke the politician the speeding cite. Shitty thing to fire him, especially since the sergeant approved it. Was he fired too? I have never heard anything good about FHP, even from the guy we hired from there.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I wish long memories for the FHP.

Thirdwatch is offline Guardian between peace and peril
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    That is what I would call between a rock and a hard place. All I have to say is ... ATTACH=CONFIG]1604[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "All Americans pledge allegiance,a select few show it"

Thread Information