Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Xiphos

Thread: U.N. overwhelmingly approves global arms trade treaty

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

U.N. overwhelmingly approves global arms trade treaty

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - The 193-nation U.N. General Assembly on Tuesday overwhelmingly approved the first treaty on the global arms trade, which seeks to regulate the $70 billion business inconventional arms and keep weapons out of the hands of human rights abusers.
    The official U.N. tally showed 154 votes in favor, 3 against and 23 abstentions, though diplomats and U.N. officials said the actual vote was 155-3-22 due to Angola being recorded as having abstained and not voting yes. Venezuela, which said it had planned to abstain, Zimbabwe and three other countries were not allowed to vote because they were in arrears on their U.N. dues.
    U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon welcomed the vote, saying the treaty "will make it more difficult for deadly weapons to be diverted into the illicit market and ... will help to keep warlords, pirates, terrorists, criminals and their like from acquiring deadly arms."
    Iran, Syria and North Korea last week prevented a treaty-drafting conference at U.N. headquarters from reaching the required consensus to adopt the treaty. That left delegations that support it no choice but to turn to a General Assembly vote to adopt it.
    The Iranian, Syrian and North Korean delegations cast the sole votes against the treaty on Tuesday.
    Iran, which is under a U.N. arms embargo over its nuclear program, is eager to ensure its arms imports and exports are not curtailed, while Syria's government is embroiled in a two-year civil war and relies on arms from Russia and Iran, envoys said.
    North Korea is also under a U.N. arms embargo due to its nuclear weapons and missile programs.
    The treaty will be open for signature on June 3 and will enter into force 90 days after the 50th signatory ratifies it. Mexican U.N. Ambassador Luis Alfonso de Alba told reporters it normally takes two to three years for a treaty to come into force, but said he hoped it would happen sooner in this case.
    Major arms producers China and Russia joined Cuba, Bolivia, Nicaragua and other countries in abstaining.
    RUSSIA TAKING A HARD LOOK
    A number of countries, led by India, which also abstained, complained the treaty favored exporting over importing states. Russia said Moscow would take a hard look at the treaty before deciding whether to sign it.
    Several delegates told Reuters the treaty's effectiveness would be limited if major arms exporters refuse to sign it.
    The United States, the world's No. 1 arms exporter, voted in favor of the treaty despite fierce opposition from the National Rifle Association (NRA), a powerful U.S. pro-gun lobbying group.
    U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said in a statement the U.N. adopted "a strong, effective and implementable Arms Trade Treaty that can strengthen global security while protecting the sovereign right of states to conduct legitimate arms trade."
    "Nothing in this treaty could ever infringe on the rights of American citizens under our domestic law or the Constitution, including the Second Amendment," he added, referring to the U.S. constitutional amendment that guarantees the right to bear arms.
    The NRA opposes the treaty and has vowed to fight to prevent its ratification by the U.S. Senate when it reaches Washington. The NRA says the treaty will undermine domestic gun rights, a view the U.S. government has strongly rejected.
    U.N. overwhelmingly approves global arms trade treaty
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Usually I don't find myself in agreement with Iran, Syria, North Korea or the NRA.

But then ad the UN to this chemistry and the alchemy changes. There are many people in this country I like, but disagree with. Fewer in the UN. Guess I'm going to be unpopular, but I'm with the few. Bummer in the moment, but being scorned by the world isn't much of a hardship when compared to what they demand we give up.

Look at those countries again. These are nations with disarmed populaces making demands on the world stage that they remain so. A glance at any tells the tale of their fear. We're on the other end of the spectrum - we're armed and proud of it. We're exceptionally reserved with our civilian arms and (again, consider the others - mass murders happen anywhere there are masses) yet Mr Heinz-Kerry wants us disarmed like these failed nations of slaves.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Get the US out of the UN and the UN out of the US.

There is no greater impotent organization on the planet. They stand for thugs and dictators and we fund them. Couldn't NY use a big parking garage on that property?
    Captain America likes this.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    This needs to be flushed down the toilet.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Thread Information