Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO

Thumbs up The looooooooong arm of the law!

Handcuffs of 9/11 victim used on al-Qaida suspects

NEW YORK - The handcuffs began as standard-issue gear for Port Authority police Officer Donald McIntyre, who was killed in the line of duty on Sept. 11, 2001.

When the cuffs were discovered in the rubble of the World Trade Center, they became a keepsake for his widow.

By the time McIntyre's co-worker began slapping the same handcuffs on terrorist suspects four years ago, the gear that once hung from McIntyre's belt took on an almost mystical caste.

"It became a spiritual thing," said Thomas McHale, a detective with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey who took the handcuffs to Afghanistan while chasing terrorism suspects. "I thought, 'You're helping us down here, Donnie.' "

On Thursday, McHale received a standing ovation when he was awarded the Port Authority's Medal of Honor, presented to those who demonstrate extraordinary bravery in the face of possible death. McHale got the award for the two months he spent in Pakistan and Afghanistan in early 2002, working with the Joint Terrorism Task Force.

The cuffs, engraved with the name "Mac," were collected from McIntyre's widow before McHale headed overseas. By the time he returned, they had been placed on about 70 suspected al-Qaida and Taliban supporters.

Abu Zubaydah, one of Osama bin Laden's top lieutenants, was the highest-profile arrestee to wear the cuffs.

"Before we'd hit al-Qaida, we'd hold the cuffs and say, 'OK, this is for Mac,' " McHale said. "Then we'd kick the doors in."

During his time overseas, McHale was involved in shutting down a biological-weapons lab in Afghanistan, responding to a deadly bomb attack on a church in Pakistan and identifying a number of al-Qaida safe houses.

He told authorities in Pakistan and Afghanistan about the officer's widow, Jeannine, and her daughter, Lauren, who was born after McIntyre's death.

"You could see the compassion in these guys' eyes," said McHale, who is from Middlesex County, N.J.

link
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

Thanks for posting. Good article.
    Thereís a promise I need you to make
    While Iím gone you take care of the love
    And Iíll deal with the hate.

Donít worry about me; Iíll be all right
    Just care for your children and sleep tight
    Iíll keep you safe on my watch tonight
    ~
    On My Watch Tonight - Mike Corrado

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Good stuff

Thanks.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    HOO - RAH!

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Thread Information