Welcome to the APBWeb.
    KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO

Bismarck-area law enforcement agencies struggle to find, keep officers

So in many parts of the country, there are too many applicants and not enough jobs. Here, we have the opposite problem. Too many jobs and not enough applicants.

The Mandan Police Department has not been fully staffed since 2006, save for one month where every sworn position was filled. But an officer didn’t complete training successfully and the department went back to where it was before — scrambling to hire a new officer.

The four local agencies — the Bismarck and Mandan police departments and Burleigh County and Morton County sheriffs’ departments — are in a consortium where job candidates take the same test, then can be chosen by the agencies. Burleigh County Sheriff Pat Heinert said he has received six applications for four open positions in the past month.
    Read more here: Bismarck-area law enforcement agencies struggle to find, keep officers
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Know of any reasons off the top of your head? Low pay, crappy bennies? Or is it just an area where nobody wants to be cops?
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Verified LEO
    I don't really know. The pay isn't great compared to some states, but neither is cost of living. Starting pay for us is $41,579/yr with lots of OT opportunities for extra duty. A 2br apartment is anywhere from $600-1200 for a decent place. We have 100% employer paid family health insurance and our pension plan is shared with me paying 9% and the city paying 13%.
    ΑΦΣ

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Maybe it had to do with shale mining? I heard that pays great.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Verified LEO
    Oil jobs pay great, but for a reason. It's shitty work and work conditions. Most of them work two weeks of straight 12 hour days. It is very tempting, but many who go there, soon come back to a lesser paying normal job.
    ΑΦΣ

Thread Information