Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO

Injunction Granted on Mississippi's New Open Carry Law

JACKSON, MS (Mississippi News Now) - A state judge has blocked Mississippi's open-carry gun law from taking effect Monday. The temporary injunction will remain in effect until July 8.
    Circuit Judge Winston Kidd ruled the law is vague and an injunction is needed to stop irreparable harm
    LINK - Temporary injunction granted on open carry law - MSNewsNow.com - Jackson, MS

Mississippi has always been an open carry state, sort of. The old law read that a weapon was in violation if concealed "whole or in part". The general interpretation of that law was that if it was carried on a belt in a holster, the part of the gun covered by a holster was "concealed" therefore making carrying a gun open on a belt illegal. The new law removed and cleared up the wording to some degree and made open carry legal. Now that it goes into effect on 01 July, some agencies and politicians are freaking out and got the above injunction. This is going to be interesting to watch. I'm a little uncomfortable with the open carry just because I know some eggheads that shouldn't be allowed to carry a spork in public will now be carrying guns. We have a very good concealed carry licensing system here. I wish people would just use that.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We have open carry here. I stood in line at Subway on duty, in uniform next to a guy open carrying. Nobody cared. Except the clerk who wanted to know what kind of gun it was. It's nothing to see people walking around with guns.

Sent from the future with CyanogenMod.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Pamalama is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    We have open carry here. I stood in line at Subway on duty, in uniform next to a guy open carrying. Nobody cared. Except the clerk who wanted to know what kind of gun it was. It's nothing to see people walking around with guns.

Sent from the future with CyanogenMod.
    Remember when we had that problem years ago...there was that group that went around open carrying just waiting for citizens to call in and see if the police come in and violate their civil rights? The citizens freaked out...the rookies were responding by low crawling. It was almost numerous. I'd be like, umm I got this, you can disregard, really!

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamalama View Post
    Remember when we had that problem years ago...there was that group that went around open carrying just waiting for citizens to call in and see if the police come in and violate their civil rights? The citizens freaked out...the rookies were responding by low crawling. It was almost numerous. I'd be like, umm I got this, you can disregard, really!
    Yeah we had some of that down south where I was but I never ran into it working nights.

Everybody here has guns and everybody else knows it. Kinda nice.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamalama View Post
    Open Carry. They still pop up from time to time...

Though I did love the response of one of your supervisors a few months back. I had the radio scanning, and I'm not sure which of the bordering districts it was -- but the caller reported a man walking with a rifle. You're supervisor asked if he was doing anything else -- and cancelled the call since there was no violation of law.

(Then there was the rookie in my department that was running code to a report of a guy walking with a gun. Not brandishing, not shooting... just walking.)
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Jackrabbit26 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    When you get the call about the open carry guy, who knows he is not violating the law, and you find him waiting for you with a video camera, its best to move on or become a youtube star.

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    I can remember back when I carried a 22 rifle to school to reattach the bolt handle to the bolt body and to fit a new stock. I was 14 then and had the permission of the school shop teacher. I rode the city bus to school that morning, the driver commented that it was a nice old Winchester bolt action, and worth fixing. The shop teacher demonstrated how to use brass or silver-solder and protect heat sensitive areas.

People trusted each other back then. When the news media reports the armed citizen as a "shooter" and the dead felon attacker as a "victim".... well you know who the "bad guys" really are......
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtbear111 View Post
    People trusted each other back then. When the news media reports
    Thanks, 111. I'd like to sit a moment with just that passage to consider.

You know, nothing I can add other than everything around us is media now, or soon will be. #ThisWon'tEndWell

Thread Information