Welcome to the APBWeb.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jackrabbit26

Thread: Police set up fake drug checkpoint and arrested drivers who reacted suspiciously

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Police set up fake drug checkpoint and arrested drivers who reacted suspiciously

Police in the Cleveland suburb of Mayfield Heights know they're not allowed to use checkpoints to search drivers and their cars for drugs.So they're trying the next best thing: fake drug checkpoints.Police in the city of 19,000 recently posted large yellow signs along Interstate 271 that warned drivers that there was a drug checkpoint ahead, to be prepared to stop and that there was a drug-sniffing police dog in use.There was no such checkpoint, just police officers waiting to see if any drivers would react suspiciously after seeing the signs.Authorities say that four people were stopped, with some arrests and drugs seized. They declined to be more specific.The Plain Dealer in Cleveland reports (Fake drug checkpoint in Mayfield Heights is legal, experts say | cleveland.com) that some civil rights leaders and at least one person pulled over by police are questioning the tactic, wondering if it could violate the Fourth Amendment against unlawful searches and seizures.
    Ohio Police Department Using Fake Drug Checkpoints - ABC News

Jackrabbit26 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    I was told a story that back in the day when guys were trying to pick up people on warrants who were dodging police, they would take a van from the street dept., dress up in suits, and get a really big fake check and go knocking on the perp's door announcing that they won ten million dollars in Publishers Clearing House. It worked great until word got out not to answer the door for the sweepstakes people.
    Pudge likes this.

JLK
    JLK is offline Protecting Those That Can't Protect Themselves
    Verified LEO
    think outside the box.

"A strong man stands up for himself. A stronger man stands up for others."
    Ben

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented
    on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you
    expecting trouble?" "No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have
    brought my rifle."
    (just stole this one hope you don't mind)

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant,
    it is just that they know so much that isn't so.
    President Ronald Reagan

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    We've done that before with a fair bit of success. What the article fails to mention is that the people simply turning off the exit is not enough to warrant a stop. They have to find a reason to stop them.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Better hurry up and catch as many bad guys as you can with this tactic before some libtard judge up for re-election says you can't do that any more.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Thread Information