Welcome to the APBWeb.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Xiphos

Thread: Officer says he cannot condone Rolling Stone's cover featuring the man who wounded him

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Officer says he cannot condone Rolling Stone's cover featuring the man who wounded him

The police officer wounded in a shootout with the Boston marathon bombing suspects expressed fears Thursday that the glamorized Rolling Stone cover of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev might glorify the teenager and his actions.

“They could have picked anybody else,” said Richard Donohue, the Boston transit police officer severely wounded in the shootout with Tsarnaev and his brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, who was killed.

“There’s a number of people they could have picked for a rock or entertainment magazine beside an alleged bomber, but I hope it doesn’t glorify him and make it so that other people will follow in his footsteps,” Donohue told TODAY’s Savannah Guthrie.
    Cop shot in Tsarnaev standoff: I hope magazine cover won't glorify suspect - TODAY.com

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I wish they had just sold their last magazine. Nothing like blowing up people at a public event and then having a very photogenic picture of yourself plastered across the cover of a very well known magazine. I swear I will never understand the mentality of some media outlets. In what world would someone think this is okay? Not to mention the cover caption blames his family for letting him down instead of blaming him. I'm sure the magazine is loving the exposure even if it's negative. An apology stamped on the outside of the back cover near the bar code will be in the next issue. (Rolling Stone magazine regrets the impact of our previous cover but not the monetary gain) Media caters to ratings.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Want to make the cover of Rolling Stone and be seen all over the world? Win the rock star lottery or commit mass murder. Hmmmmm what's easier?

One way to stop the copycat murder sprees is a media wide agreement not to publish names and pictures of the offenders. The notoriety attracts the crazies, remove the reward.

Rolling Stone has been an leftist bourgeoisie rag for a long time. I wouldn't line a bird cage with it.

Sent from the future with CyanogenMod.
    lewisipso likes this.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Update:

The backlash over Rolling Stone's cover photo of Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev led to the release of new photos of his capture Thursday, images a police photographer said show "the real Boston bomber."
    In contrast to the tousle-haired, placid-looking 19-year-old on the front of the magazine, the new pictures show Tsarnaev emerging from the boat where he was cornered -- his face smeared with blood, his skin ashen in the laser glow from snipers' gun sights.
    In one, he pulls up his shirt, apparently showing he has no weapon underneath; in another, he slumps across the deck of the trailered boat, his bloodied arm hanging down.
    The pictures were taken by Massachusetts State Police Sgt. Sean Murphy and published online by Boston Magazine on Thursday afternoon.
    In a statement accompanying the photos, Murphy called the Rolling Stone cover "an insult" and "hurtful" to survivors of the April 15 bombings.
    "This guy is evil," Murphy said. "This is the real Boston bomber. Not someone fluffed and buffed for the cover of Rolling Stone magazine."
    John Wolfson, Boston Magazine's editor in chief, said the magazine has hundreds of similar photos and will publish more in its September issue. He said Murphy was "conflicted on some level" about releasing the photos, but "genuinely worried" about how the Rolling Stone cover will affect the victims' families.
    I think he was also worried that certain impressionable people might be lured to replicate that by the kind of glamorous-looking photo that is on the Rolling Stone cover," Wolfson told CNN's "The Situation Room."
    A Massachusetts State Police spokesman said that the agency had not authorized the photos' release.
    "Today's dissemination to Boston Magazine of photographs of Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokar Tsarnaev and police activity related to his capture was not authorized by the Massachusetts State Police," spokesman David Procopio said in a statement issued Thursday night. "The department will not release the photographs to media outlets. The State Police will have no further comment on this matter tonight."
    Procopio told CNN late Thursday night that Murphy had been relieved of duty for one day and will have a status hearing to determine whether he will be on full duty, restricted duty or suspended during an internal police investigation.
    Photos of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev released after Rolling Stone complaints - CNN.com

Thread Information