Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Odd

Thread: Cops spike tires of speeding father-to-be

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Cops spike tires of speeding father-to-be

SAN DIEGO — San Diego police used a spike strip to stop a speeding, swerving motorist on Interstate 15 Friday night, then found out he was trying to follow his pregnant wife’s ambulance.
    An officer saw a vehicle swerving back and forth across freeway lanes southbound from Rancho Peñasquitos Boulevard about 10:40 p.m. and thought it might be a drunken driver, police said.
    The officer tried to pull over the driver, who kept going as more officers and a police helicopter joined the pursuit. The driver took state Route 163 south and police used a spike strip near Balboa Avenue to flatten one or more of his tires, police said.

Cops spike tires of speeding father-to-be | UTSanDiego.com

Um. Stop and explain yourself?
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    The thing I wonder is if at any point in the venn intersection of fatherhood and motoring if this has happened with a second child. That is to say, after pacing for two to sixteen hours in a waiting room if a second, or even third, panicked drive ever happened. Or are those drives more "I swear honey, this is as fast as I can go, and I'm really sorry but the radio seems to be stuck on this Vikings/Saints game"

Who started this myth that mucous plug breaking free is a cause for panic and death defying/causing driving? I'm guessing it was a cabbie who got tired of cleaning up.
    lewisipso likes this.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I like to brag that when my daughter was born, I didn't freak out. Not once, even in the slightest bit. But, bragging about keeping my cool with a bunch of cops isn't as cool because we all should have a pretty good handle on our nerves. But I digress.

My wife went into labor while I was at a fire meeting, and texted me to tell me. I replied back that I was going to finish the meeting before coming home. We drove the speed limit to the hospital and walked inside.

No running, sweating, swearing, yelling, jumping up and down, etc.

It's childbirth. We've been doing it, literally since the beginning of (our) time. No need to get all worked up.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Aegis is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    They kept my wife in the hospital for blood pressure issues. When she called to tell me it was time, I stopped on the way and picked up Fazoli's. I still got there six hours before my son was born.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Well... I did rush. I was working, we were on a search warrant and my had been hospitalized due to complications. She called, told me that she was bleeding, but they didn't seem too worried... So as soon as we cleared, I made a rapid trip to the hospital. Several hours later, things had progressed from "you're not in labor, but the doc is on the way" to an emergency c-section. And, yeah, I kept my cool. Had too... someone was counting on me. And I'm a cop... wouldn't want to be seen as losing it!

This sort of idiocy? Nope. Don't get it. Worst case, stop when the cops are behind you. Lots of us would likely find a way to help you out... After all, plenty of us have been there!
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Oh the story I can tell. My youngest daughter was born on Fri, the 13. Well, we were living about 30 some miles outside Paris, France. It was during the worst snow storm in over 60 yrs
    And the folks that did snow removal all over the area were on a Muslum month-long holiday. That Thursday afternoon we left the American Hospital in Neully-sur-Seine heading home. On the outskirts of Paris the snow was so bad on the roads, we had to follow a British Convoy across fields until we finally got home. Well at midnight her water broke! Back into the little Renault and back to town. That little car became a snow plow. Finally reaching the hospital,someone said that you just left. Yeah about about 6 hrs ago. About 4 hrs later, little Catherine Jane was born. 90 days later I got off a plane in picturesque Saigon. Ain't life wonderful.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    During my wife's labor with our third child I was eating a sandwich when the doctor decided to break her water. I didn't miss a bite. Drives me crazy when the nurses are waiting for me to faint and want me to sit or leave the room. This ain't nothing compared to some of the shit I've seen. Puhleeeze.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

213th is offline Solipsist
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    The thing I wonder is if at any point in the venn intersection of fatherhood and motoring if this has happened with a second child. That is to say, after pacing for two to sixteen hours in a waiting room if a second, or even third, panicked drive ever happened. Or are those drives more "I swear honey, this is as fast as I can go, and I'm really sorry but the radio seems to be stuck on this Vikings/Saints game"

Who started this myth that mucous plug breaking free is a cause for panic and death defying/causing driving? I'm guessing it was a cabbie who got tired of cleaning up.
    I'm confused I guess...I'm not entirely sure what you are saying, but it doesn't seem like this was run of the mill as his wife was transported by ambulance. Not saying that is an excuse, but I defy anyone who would say that they wouldn't get a bit excited if their pregnant wife had to be transported by ambulance. (I myself would probably opt to ride with her though)
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I was having my sort of fun commenting on the panic of a first time father rather than saying outright this guy is a real dickhead. (I thought it was clear, but then I would know the intent, apologies) His wife had professional medial care, a luxury the people he was swerving at did not. That some tires were the only casualty of his wreckless, mindless driving and defiance of authority to such a point his actions made the wire services is a relief. Driving fast, ok, but once there's a helicopter involved and you still don't stop you're officially a shit. That he was of no benefit to his wife, whatever her condition, and a real and present threat to the lives of others with spouses and children of their own is what I was saying.

Being clear is boring, back to my imagination lab!

213th is offline Solipsist
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Lol I gotcha. I still don't know why he wouldn't have jumped in the ambulance with her unless they don't allow that there. I'm sure the last thing on my mind would be worrying about making sure I had a car at the hospital.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Thread Information