Welcome to the APBWeb.
    lewisipso is online now Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Report: NSA spying broke privacy rules many times

WASHINGTON (AP) — The National Security Agency has broken privacy rules or overstepped its legal authority thousands of times each year since Congress granted the agency broad new powers in 2008, The Washington Post reported Thursday.
    Most of the infractions involve unauthorized surveillance of Americans or foreign intelligence targets in the United States, both of which are restricted by law and executive order. They range from significant violations of law to typographical errors that resulted in unintended interception of U.S. emails and telephone calls, the Post said, citing an internal audit and other top-secret documents provided it earlier this summer from NSA leaker Edward Snowden, a former systems analyst with the agency.
    In one of the documents, agency personnel are instructed to remove details and substitute more generic language in reports to the Justice Department and the Office of the Director of National Intelligence(Can't fix what you don't know about. Agencies operating with no oversight or supervision)
    The Post cited a 2008 example of the interception of a "large number" of calls placed from Washington when a programming error confused U.S. area code 202 for 20, the international dialing code for Egypt, according to a "quality assurance" review that was not distributed to the NSA's oversight staff.
    In another case, the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court, which has authority over some NSA operations, did not learn about a new collection method until it had been in operation for many months. The court ruled it unconstitutional.

Report: NSA spying broke privacy rules many times

Most were unintended. Many involved failures of due diligence or violations of standard operating procedure.
    Intentional or not absolute failure of our government to supervise itself. Our government is an entity beyond control.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

213th is offline Solipsist
    It isn't that surprising given the lack of over site.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    I'm sure this isn't news to a lot of people (myself included). I know I'm going to go a FBI/NSA watch list for saying this, but I think Eric Snowden did absolutely right thing. We can argue his methods all day long, but if he hadn't done we did, this information would have never come to light.

I know some argue that he should have gone through "proper channels", but I think it's naive to believe if he did that anything would have gotten done.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Thread Information