Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 33 of 33
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Marijuana Ruling Could Signal End of Prohibition on Pot

  1. #21
    Xiphos's Avatar
    Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    03-09-08
    Location
    Thermopylae
    Posts
    8,380
    Rep Power
    7798740
    Alcohol is a scurge. The fact it is horrible is not a good reason in my book to sanction legalizing marijuana. The difference between them is you can have a couple drinks of alcohol and not be drunk. Marijuana is high or not. There is no moderation for the taste of it.

    If THC has some sort of miraculous medicinal benefit why doesn't anyone want to take it in a pill? It's about smoking and getting high.

    This doesn't even address the problems with driving high.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4
    pgg, That Guy and dpwolfhunter like this.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

    That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

    If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

    I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

    Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

  2. #22
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    08-30-13
    Location
    Occupied Northern Mexico
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    19980
    Respectfully, I disagree. I'm certainly not advocating the legalization of marijuana due to alcohol's legal status. Really, I'm not advocating for decriminalization at all. I simply said I was intrigued.

    The smoking statement isn't necessarily true. There has been a significant uptick in diversified THC delivery vehicles. Vaporizers, Hash oil, cookies, brownies, candies, and even pills are becoming more and more common.

    Smoking, of course, is the most prevalent, but I don't think the appeal of marijuana is due to its pleasant taste when burned and inhaled.


    Sic semper scelestus.

  3. #23
    Buttercup's Avatar
    Buttercup is online now Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Join Date
    04-29-06
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    18,097
    Rep Power
    4329092
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermano Pistolero View Post

    I do know that I like this forum and stimulating conversation, though, so by all means proceed.

    Awesome.




  4. #24
    Join Date
    09-01-13
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermano Pistolero View Post
    Respectfully, I disagree. I'm certainly not advocating the legalization of marijuana due to alcohol's legal status. Really, I'm not advocating for decriminalization at all. I simply said I was intrigued.

    The smoking statement isn't necessarily true. There has been a significant uptick in diversified THC delivery vehicles. Vaporizers, Hash oil, cookies, brownies, candies, and even pills are becoming more and more common.

    Smoking, of course, is the most prevalent, but I don't think the appeal of marijuana is due to its pleasant taste when burned and inhaled.


    Sic semper scelestus.
    The problem with your argument is that a lot of those forms are utilized just to get high. I mean come on, brownies? Your rebuttal is flawed.

  5. #25
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    08-30-13
    Location
    Occupied Northern Mexico
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    19980
    How exactly is my rebuttal flawed? What have I said that is incorrect? Xiphos said it's about smoking and getting high, and mentioned the lack of pill forms of THC or CBD. I can personally attest to the diverse forms that THC or CBD can take. Butane Hash Oil, vaporizers, candy, gum, pills, and yes, brownies are all out there. I never stated that these forms can't be and aren't abused. Painkillers have a legitimate use, and are still misused, and the same can be said about spray paint, screwdrivers, cars or bricks.

    The simple fact is that marijuana has legitimate medical applications. I can't speak as to its effect on driving, because I don't work DUI/DWI cases and have no experience there. I can guarantee that marijuana is a major, major money maker for the cartels. That fact doesn't sit lightly with me, and legalizing, decriminalizing, or legitimizing marijuana in the US in any way would most likely deal a devastating blow to cartel interests.

    There are, of course, other things to consider, such as limiting child-exposure, taxation and regulation, et cetera, but those shouldn't be justification for a 100% prohibition. I'm not advocating for legalization, and I damn sure didn't say that marijuana isn't used by fewer potheads than cancer patients, but I am amazed by LEO's who don't use common sense and reasoning skills to problem solve. You're using the fact that potheads use marijuana recreationally as an excuse to keep the status quo? Really? Your job as a professional is to enforce the laws and be a public servant. Your job as a productive citizen is to engage in the process and question things that don't make sense. I have no problem justifying and defending my positions, and I'll respectfully listen to opposing viewpoints, but I do my own research. I suggest you do some of the same.

    Did you develop these arguments last month while you were still in the academy, or a couple of years ago when you decided to be a cop? Because mine have been grown and molded over the last 13+ years working in LE. I don't know that I'd accuse someone of flawed logic who had significantly more LE experience than me.


    Sic semper scelestus.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    09-01-13
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermano Pistolero View Post
    How exactly is my rebuttal flawed? What have I said that is incorrect? Xiphos said it's about smoking and getting high, and mentioned the lack of pill forms of THC or CBD. I can personally attest to the diverse forms that THC or CBD can take. Butane Hash Oil, vaporizers, candy, gum, pills, and yes, brownies are all out there. I never stated that these forms can't be and aren't abused. Painkillers have a legitimate use, and are still misused, and the same can be said about spray paint, screwdrivers, cars or bricks.

    The simple fact is that marijuana has legitimate medical applications. I can't speak as to its effect on driving, because I don't work DUI/DWI cases and have no experience there. I can guarantee that marijuana is a major, major money maker for the cartels. That fact doesn't sit lightly with me, and legalizing, decriminalizing, or legitimizing marijuana in the US in any way would most likely deal a devastating blow to cartel interests.

    There are, of course, other things to consider, such as limiting child-exposure, taxation and regulation, et cetera, but those shouldn't be justification for a 100% prohibition. I'm not advocating for legalization, and I damn sure didn't say that marijuana isn't used by fewer potheads than cancer patients, but I am amazed by LEO's who don't use common sense and reasoning skills to problem solve. You're using the fact that potheads use marijuana recreationally as an excuse to keep the status quo? Really? Your job as a professional is to enforce the laws and be a public servant. Your job as a productive citizen is to engage in the process and question things that don't make sense. I have no problem justifying and defending my positions, and I'll respectfully listen to opposing viewpoints, but I do my own research. I suggest you do some of the same.

    Did you develop these arguments last month while you were still in the academy, or a couple of years ago when you decided to be a cop? Because mine have been grown and molded over the last 13+ years working in LE. I don't know that I'd accuse someone of flawed logic who had significantly more LE experience than me.


    Sic semper scelestus.
    Well that escalated quickly. I never said there was no medical use, I also never said your logic was flawed, I was just poking fun at the medical brownies. Way to freak out though.

  7. #27
    That Guy's Avatar
    That Guy is offline No one in particular
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    11-10-12
    Posts
    375
    Rep Power
    384696
    Actually you stated that the rebuttal was flawed. Yeah, most people want to get high. I do not think anyone in this thread has stated otherwise. If you are going to openly respond to someone's assertions in a thread like this one, be prepared for a response. This can be a sticky [see what I did there] subject in LE circles. It is also a good discussion particularly here where we can openly talk about all the issues associated with it.

    Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

  8. #28
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    08-30-13
    Location
    Occupied Northern Mexico
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    19980
    Quote Originally Posted by dpwolfhunter View Post
    The problem with your argument is that a lot of those forms are utilized just to get high. I mean come on, brownies? Your rebuttal is flawed.
    If I say something, I mean something. If, in fact, your quote above was "misinterpreted," it's probably because the subtle nuances of sarcasm are lost on the Internet. More likely, though, it's because I read what you wrote and took it at face value and didn't misinterpret at all.


    Sic semper scelestus.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    09-01-13
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermano Pistolero View Post
    If I say something, I mean something. If, in fact, your quote above was "misinterpreted," it's probably because the subtle nuances of sarcasm are lost on the Internet. More likely, though, it's because I read what you wrote and took it at face value and didn't misinterpret at all.


    Sic semper scelestus.
    I'll give you that. I should've worded it differently. My mistake, kudos to you though for kicking my under the bus as you drive over me.

  10. #30
    That Guy's Avatar
    That Guy is offline No one in particular
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    11-10-12
    Posts
    375
    Rep Power
    384696
    Bravo. We do need a sarcasm font or something though.
    dpwolfhunter likes this.

  11. #31
    IMGreat101's Avatar
    IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Join Date
    11-17-09
    Location
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Posts
    4,677
    Rep Power
    3989194


    I am with That Dude, errm I mean Guy on the 10th amendment. I also herd a LEO state that he would rather deal with a high person rather than a drunk. Drunks are unpredictable and a high person is just hungry.

    To Live Is To Eat

    IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

    And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

    We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

  12. #32
    Odd's Avatar
    Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Join Date
    10-08-08
    Posts
    2,056
    Rep Power
    2508664
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    If THC has some sort of miraculous medicinal benefit why doesn't anyone want to take it in a pill? It's about smoking and getting high.
    Seemed miraculous enough to me

    Funny, through a few hundred thousand years of human history and the earliest recorded etching on rocks hashish has been around and mentioned, but it's only in the past 60 years thanks to drunk men in white marble buildings telling us it's a scourge that it's become one. Now with a shooting war. Thanks?

    I really don't have much interest if the drug war continues as there will always be new molecules to chase: it's policy and chemistry now, beyond even politics. Can we at least have some legitimate research on old ones without the F'deral paper-pushers predetermining which of those molecules are bad based on something more than Newtonian politics? (A drug classified as useless will remain classified as useless until reclassified by a study which is prevented by its classification) Then let's talk about what to do with it based on the research. Remarkable amount of good could happen in a short time like that.

    I don't like the antics being played with medical dispensaries either. Games and suffering, and who wins?
    Hermano Pistolero likes this.

  13. #33
    Cidp24's Avatar
    Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    07-17-06
    Location
    Crossroads of the Sunny South
    Posts
    8,131
    Rep Power
    3999639
    Quote Originally Posted by IMGreat101 View Post


    I am with That Dude, errm I mean Guy on the 10th amendment. I also herd a LEO state that he would rather deal with a high person rather than a drunk. Drunks are unpredictable and a high person is just hungry.

    You wouldn't feel that way if the high person decided to eat you...

    Disclaimer: I am in no way insinuating that MJ use or abuse leads to cannibalism. I think that has been covered in a bath salts thread.
    That Guy likes this.
    *************************
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    *************************
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)


    Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •