Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Marijuana Ruling Could Signal End of Prohibition on Pot

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Marijuana Ruling Could Signal End of Prohibition on Pot

It's legal to light up in Colorado and Washington, and soon smoking pot could be legalized across the country following a decision Thursday by the federal government.
    After Washington state and Colorado passed laws in November 2012 legalizing the consumption and sale of marijuana for adults over 18, lawmakers in both states waited to see whether the federal government would continue to prosecute pot crimes under federal statutes in their states.
    Both Colorado and Washington have been working to set up regulatory systems in order to license and tax marijuana growers and retail sellers, but have been wary of whether federal prosecutors would come after them for doing so. They are the first states to legalize pot, and therefore to go through the process of trying to set up a regulatory system.
    Consumption and sale of marijuana is still illegal in all other states, though some cities and towns have passed local laws decriminalizing it or making it a low priority for law enforcement officers. There are also movements in many states to legalize pot, including legalization bills introduced in Maine and Rhode Island, discussion of possible bills in states including Massachusetts and Vermont, and talk of ballot initiatives in California and Oregon.
    But on Thursday, the Department of Justice announced that it would not prosecute marijuana crimes that were legal under state law, a move that could signal the end of the country's longtime prohibition on pot is nearing. "It certainly appears to be potentially the beginning of the end," said Paul Armantano, deputy director of the pot lobby group NORML.
    Marijuana Ruling Could Signal End of Prohibition on Pot
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

I think this is a big mistake. It's essentially releasing another scourge on the lower class who struggle with addictions and poverty, just like alcohol has done.

That Guy is offline No one in particular
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'll go with the 10th Amendment and say this is an individual state issue.
    Jks9199, Odd and Hermano Pistolero like this.

narcodog is offline Rookie
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Every time I read something like this it just makes me sick. I'm old but I have seen the heart break that marijuana can bring.
    dpwolfhunter likes this.
    "A Knights Oath
    A Knight is sworn to valor; His Heart only knows virtue; His Blade defends the helpless; His Might upholds the weak; His Words speak only the truth; His Wrath undoes the wicked"

Aspire to Inspire

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Our culture is circling the drain in every other way, why not this?
    IMGreat101 and dpwolfhunter like this.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    Our culture is circling the drain in every other way, why not this?
    Tru dat. Smh

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Xiphos is right. This precisely why making this state issue is so important. I'm sure the states that start will love the revenue stream. I've met CO officers that said the same thing. It is the long term results that will be important. For those I prefer for a few states to be effected one way or the other. Those fellas that worked out the design of this country knew what they were doing.
    Last edited by That Guy; 10-21-13 at 03:44 PM.

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I don't think it will result in a revenue stream. There is going to be no way to tell if someone has a taxed pot or non taxed pot. Are they going to turn us into revenuers that beat down people's doors to see if they have paid their taxes? With the amount of taxes they have attached to these programs the black market can under cut them easily.

We are already seeing an influx here of dopers that are coming just for MJ. They don't work and drain the state coffers for social programs and give a ways. I have also noticed my MJ DUIs going up lately.
    dpwolfhunter likes this.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Better your state than mine.

pgg
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    That Guy likes this.

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Verified LEO
    I'm intrigued to see what will happen. Part of me thinks that pot, if legalized or at least decriminalized on a wide scale, will create massive revenue streams for state and local governments rather than the cartels. Where I am, marijuana makes up
    a significant chunk of DTO revenue - far more than coke, meth, or heroin on their own.

I certainly think that the taxed marijuana vs. non-taxed marijuana argument was probably one that was raised with the end of Prohibition.
    Bootleg alcohol is out there, and always will be, but there's certainly less of it now than there was during the Volstead Act. A taxing and regulation scheme will definitely have to be devised.

I don't necessarily prescribe to the gateway drug theory, and I am skeptically optimistic to the medical possibilities that so far, due to MJ's Schedule 1 status, we haven't fully researched.

Sic semper scelestus.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Agree for the most part. The problem comparing bootleg liquor and weed.... Bootleg weed can be just as good if not better than sanctioned weed. Particularly if weed is made legal.
    Hermano Pistolero likes this.

Verified LEO
    I think there are probably a few people in Appalachia that would say that moonshine beats any factory liquor. And plenty of people swear by Cuban cigars. The argument is that legal weed, like legal liquor, would come with far fewer risks for the producer, distributor and consumer. A much smaller risk of getting robbed, getting arrested, or getting a bad product would be three that immediately come to mind.

Sic semper scelestus.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Agree with that.
    Hermano Pistolero likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermano Pistolero View Post
    I think there are probably a few people in Appalachia that would say that moonshine beats any factory liquor. And plenty of people swear by Cuban cigars. The argument is that legal weed, like legal liquor, would come with far fewer risks for the producer, distributor and consumer. A much smaller risk of getting robbed, getting arrested, or getting a bad product would be three that immediately come to mind.
    I agree that legal weed will come with fewer health risks as you know what your buying. With I'm about to say, I hope people don't read that I want alcohol prohibited because I don't, but I think if we look at what alcohol as done to those who are of the lower socioeconomic class, we can only assume that legal weed will only create as many issues for those people.

I believe you mentioned earlier you didn't believe in MJ being a "gateway drug". I don't necessarily agree with you there either. I think using MJ puts one at a far greater risk of escalating to other drugs. Do people go straight to other drugs? Sure sometimes. I think when you ask those who are using heavier drugs what they started with they generally will answer with MJ. However I'm not talking about your casual MJ user. Just like your casual beer drinker isn't an alcoholic. It's the heavy binge users who will tend to ratchet it up. There's a starting point to everything. I believe MJ can be that point.

Verified LEO
    Alcohol, in my humble opinion, is a much more dangerous substance than marijuana. Besides the physical effects of long term abuse and use like cirrhosis and liver failure, the short term effects are just as troubling. Violence, black-outs, and irrational thought processes are all pretty bad things. I don't work DUI's/DWI's, so my experience is not on par with a lot of you, but is a stoned driver worse than a drunk driver? I know that I have certainly encountered more aggressive drunks than I have aggressive smokers.

As far as the gateway belief goes, I think that the majority of people that experiment with marijuana are young. Young people do dumb things. My logic may be flawed, but in the mind of a young turd, it might go like this:

"Marijuana is illegal. I buy it from Phil. Phil sells Pills and weed. Marijuana is illegal, pills without a prescription are illegal, but I buy them both from the same shady guy in the same shady part of a shady neighborhood. I might as well try something different since it's all illegal."

The act of buying an illegal substance is more of the gateway than marijuana itself, if that makes sense.

I don't know that legalizing marijuana would make low income areas less or more drug ravaged than they are now. I don't know that alcohol legalization did or did not contribute to the sad state of affairs, either.

I do know that I like this forum and stimulating conversation, though, so by all means proceed.

Sic semper scelestus.
    Pudge and dpwolfhunter like this.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermano Pistolero View Post
    I do know that I like this forum and stimulating conversation, though, so by all means proceed.
    Indeed.
    dpwolfhunter likes this.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

SteelCityK9Cop is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Can't wait to roll a big fatty.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityK9Cop View Post
    Can't wait to roll a big fatty.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4
    Heh.

pgg
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Dammit. All this talk is making me hungry again

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information