• 1 Post By lewisipso
  • 2 Post By Reca
  • 4 Post By Xiphos
  • 1 Post By pgg
  • 1 Post By Thirdwatch

Thread: US boy carrying replica gun shot dead by California police

Standard Dave is offline Constable

US boy carrying replica gun shot dead by California police

A 13-year-old boy carrying a replica assault rifle has been shot dead by police in the US state of California.
    Officers in the city of Santa Rosa say they opened fire after the boy refused orders to drop the rifle, which they believed to be real.
    The shooting on Tuesday is now being investigated.
    It comes a day after a 12-year-old boy in Nevada shot dead a maths teacher at his school and wounded two fellow pupils before taking his own life.
    In the latest incident, two sheriff's deputies saw the teenager "with what appeared to be some type of rifle", a news release from the Sonoma County Sheriff's office said.
    The deputies called for backup and repeatedly ordered the boy to drop the gun before firing several rounds from their handguns, police said. BBC News - US boy carrying replica gun shot dead by California police
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    There is a picture of the weapon halfway down the linked article looks pretty realistic to me.
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Not only did he refused to drop it, he turned around to face them and raised it towards them.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Reca is offline Administrator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Owner
    Blog Entries
    If that is the case they did what they had to do. I feel for them and the family of the boy
    Check your feelings at the door!

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Reca" on Officerresource.com

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    This absolutely sucks.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Those guys will live with the guilt forever, for doing their job. I can't imagine what they, and the kids family are going through.
    DILLON 45 likes this.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Notorious is offline Covering your 6 since 1994
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Prayers for all around... who lets their kid have those things... it's just too dangerous in today's climate. I remember my dad told me when I was a little kid playing with toy guns and back then, they were allowed to be way more realistic than today... and he warned me to not ever take it outside and especially point it people or police.
    Reca likes this.
    Nothing clever here except my zombie defense gun... now where is that darn flashlight...

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Not only was I told not to take my toy guns out of the yard I didn't do it.
    Reca likes this.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Reca is offline Administrator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Owner
    Blog Entries
    Things have changed so much since we were kids. We can blame it on the video games, break down of the families, parenting. ... I too played with fake guns as a child. I was always playing cops and robbers, or cowboys and Indians.

I don't want to armchair quarterback these parents because I do not know the complete background. I know I didn't always listen to my parents and I still remember my ass getting beat the time I was pointing my cap gun at cars and shooting it. A neighbor told my parents and that was the end of it. My point is my parents told me what not to do but I was a young boy who sometimes had to learn the hard way.
    Xiphos and Jackrabbit26 like this.
    Check your feelings at the door!

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Reca" on Officerresource.com

Jackrabbit26 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Man, that "toy" rifle looks every bit like the real thing. I've heard about gang bangers using these toys to commit robberies because if they are caught, the weapon used does not meet the definition of a weapon, and they avoid a using a weapon to commit a felony charge. I also hear stories of idiots walking around with these replica guns so they look like a tough guy, then a real thug sees them and shoots them because these think the toy gun was real.

We fought with a girl a few weeks ago who didn't want us to find the meth in her purse. She also had a CO2 pellet pistol in her purse that looked just like a real gun. Working slide action, removable magazine, and the barrel was large in diameter. There was nothing to indicate that this was a pellet gun and if she pulled it on us we would be in the same boat as these deputies.

The public seems to think that if the gun is not real or is unloaded, then somehow the officer is not justified in their use of force.

Broke Hoss is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    I've had a couple of experiences with real looking toy or BB guns.

In 1, my partner & I saw a group of kids at an apartment complex known for gang activity, & the oldest (15) tucked a 1911 in his waistband. We positioned ourselves & confronted him with our guns drawn. I specifically told the kid to keep his hands away from his waist, but he pulled it out & threw it to the ground. Luckily, neither of us pulled the trigger, but you could tell it wasn't real by the sound it made hitting the ground. When we got it sorted out & realized how close I came to shooting this I lost my cool. My comments to him & his parent, who felt the close call was my fault, were less than professional.

2nd, my partner & I were tailing an armed robbery suspect & he pulled up behind a store to do another one. We were arresting him & during the search my partner found a BB gun that he was using to commit the crimes. My partner says: "This thing almost scared YOU to death. Cause if you'd have reached for it; it would've scared ME & YOU would've been shot."
    Blessed are the the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. MATT 5:10

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Just want to point out last week:

Massachusetts teacher shot to death; 14-year-old student charged | Salisbury Post

Nevada school shooting: Teacher killed, two students wounded - CNN.com

Children with guns can be deadly. And children with replica guns can still be deadly:

Troopers: 12-year-old Delta girl dies from pellet gun shot by 6-year-old - Fairbanks Daily News-Miner: Local News

This was most definitely a justified shooting. It sucks for everyone involved but the alternative is waiting to get shot first.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

DILLON 45 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    Very sad incident for the deputies and the family, there has to be more to this story, why would the kid point a fake assault rifle at the deputies ?
    It makes you wonder if suicide by cop could be the reason, have to wait and see.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    One thing to remember also is that area is stocked full of gang bangers. This kid either was one or trying to be one.
    Xiphos likes this.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Thirdwatch is offline Guardian between peace and peril
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    This is an unfortunate incident that happened. However, Officer safety is important and these officers followed polices and procedures. Nobody wants to see this happen. Also one would assume that most 13 year old kids know how to interact with law enforcement officers. Being 13 years old you know the difference of what is right and wrong and you would think that they would realize this is real life and not a game.
    Jackrabbit26 likes this.
    "All Americans pledge allegiance,a select few show it"

Thread Information