• 1 Post By ChesCopPodz
  • 3 Post By Jks9199

Thread: Newtown CT officer may be fired for PTSD

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Newtown CT officer may be fired for PTSD

Newtown Moves to Fire Officer Out Since Sandy Hook Shooting - Hartford Courant

A 12 year Newtown police officer has not returned to work since the Sandy Hook school shooting due to PTSD. The police contract says that an officer can get half pay for long term disability until retirement age, but the town's insurance only covers two years of payments. The police union fears that the officer will be fired.

Tipperary is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    PTSD cases are always tricky. It's a very real issue and can have a life altering or even life ending impact on people. These systems in place to assist those who are struggling can be abused from time to time, which is why there is still some stigma attached to it. I would lean toward supporting each member for as long as it took if there are adequate attempts (and subsequently progress) being made at rehabilitation.

Each person responds differently to incidents, especially something of that magnitude. It could very well have been the straw that broke the camel's back for the 12 year member, and if so, throwing him (her?) to the curb would be the worst thing possible. If the officer was physically injured (shot?) in the incident would the response be different? Probably.

That's my 2 cents.
    Jks9199, Buttercup, pgg and 2 others like this.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Our suicide rate will never improve until the stigma against mental health treatment changes.
    Pudge, Ducky, adroitcuffs and 3 others like this.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    PTSD cases are always tricky. It's a very real issue and can have a life altering or even life ending impact on people. These systems in place to assist those who are struggling can be abused from time to time, which is why there is still some stigma attached to it. I would lean toward supporting each member for as long as it took if there are adequate attempts (and subsequently progress) being made at rehabilitation.
    We had a guy take a 30 day paid vacation claiming PTSD from the Waldo Canyon Fire. This happened to coincide with his impending divorce. Then he tried to medically retire because of his PTSD. Wasn't going to happen, especially when he was fired for spending hours at a time during his shift at his new girlfriend's house.

Everyone found it rather odd that the same officer who padded his bank account working OT patrols in the burn zone then claimed PTSD from being in the burn zone. Moron.

Anyways, so I can understand the above point that the PTSD claim can be abused. That being said, I can't imagine NOT having PTSD seeing what he saw at that school.
    Policefan1978 likes this.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    PTSD is a very complicated subject. A few years ago, the thought was that everyone would have at least a few symptoms or elements following an appropriately traumatic event. Now, it's not so certain; a lot depends on the individual, as well as the care given them in the aftermath and debriefing. But Sandy Hook? No matter what, that was certain to have an impact on the responding officers. Whether it's so debilitating as to make him unable to work for nearly a year is a subject for someone with a string of initials after their name, and the brass... Not the city council.
    Ducky, Xiphos and Policefan1978 like this.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Policefan1978 is offline Officer First Class
    My heart goes out to this officer.
    May God be with you and your families as you Protect and Serve.

Thread Information