• 1 Post By lewisipso
  • 1 Post By Thirdwatch
  • 1 Post By 121Traffic

Thread: Ala. officers resigns after "drag racing"

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Ala. officers resigns after "drag racing"

Thoughts? The article ain't that important, so I won't C&P it here. Just watch the vid.

Alabama officer resigns after drag racing video posted on YouTube | 9news.com
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Another article suggests he was fired.

I don't think he necessarily should have lost his job. It was lousy stupid judgement, but it doesn't look like their "race" involved excessive speeds (traffic is moving with and around them, including, if I recall correctly, passing them) or other particularly reckless conduct. I could see a suspension, or removing him from motors, or both... but unless there are issues we aren't aware of like having a bad record or other issues, I don't think it should have cost him his job. I definitely see nothing dishonest or unethical here -- unless, maybe, he lied about it happening during an investigation?
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

yooper warden is offline Fish Cop
    Verified LEO
    I can't believe he lost his job for that. Like was said, it didn't appear that they were going very fast. Other traffic was passing them at times. It didn't look like what I would call drag racing, sure they floored it off the line, but I drive like that all the time anyway. Must have terrible or no unions down there, wouldn't have been more than a hand slap in my dept
    Twan007 likes this.
    John

213th is offline Solipsist
    The problem I would have is doing that in uniform on a department motorcycle. It isn't reckless or endangering anyone but neither would a burn out contest in s parking lot. I'm not sure which was the more stupid action though, asking a cop to race or agreeing to in uniform on the department bike. I'm not surprised he lost his job.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    He should have made a community policing argument. He was just connecting with the bike community in a way they understood and could appreciate.

A couple days on desk duty, at the very most, is much more appropriate than termination. That's ridiculous.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    To bad he didn't realize the other biker was just baiting him. I wonder how long it took him to get home, cream his pants and upload that video.
    IMGreat101 likes this.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Thirdwatch is offline Guardian between peace and peril
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    After the subject on the red bike in the news interview stated "we were not racing that fast." The reporter stated "racing at any speed is against the law." I just find that reply hilarious because it opens up a Pandora box of witty remarks. As for the officer I don't agree with how everything was handled. He did resign on his own but he would have been fired. I don't want to sound like a arm chair quarterback, I feel that verbal or written reprimand would make sense. Devil's advocate is the guy had a camera on his helmet which is something we need to be cognizant of in law enforcement. People have camera's everywhere in today's society and with the social media being able to make things viral with one click of a button. The officer meant no harm but this video was uploaded and this gives people who do not like law enforcement more ammunition against us. Everybody is watching us when we do our job and know with cameras the whole world is and as law enforcement officer we need to make sure that we retain high levels of professionalism at all times.
    Jks9199 likes this.
    "All Americans pledge allegiance,a select few show it"

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I didn't get a chance to come back to this as soon as I hoped, and the officer has since been reinstated. That being said, I thought it was ridiculous that the guy had to resign. You would need more than that around here to qualify for "Exhibition of Speed," i.e. squealing tires, etc. At one point, the guy looks at his speedo, and it is hovering between 58-60, and he's passing the cop. I don't know about anyone else, but around here that road would probably be a 50-55 mile per hour stretch. Regardless of what the biker said, I would hardly call that a "race".

Poor decision? Perhaps. If I were a decision-maker there, however, I would temper that judgment with the fact that he seemed to genuinely want to engender support and interact with a citizen. He was having a good time, doing his job. Maybe not the smartest thing ever, but more a mistake of the mind than a mistake of the heart.

He's been reinstated, and publicly stated that he resigned to prevent embarassment to his department. That was a stand up move, but I'm sure glad someone said, "Wait a sec..." and encouraged all involved to work it out.
    Xiphos likes this.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Thread Information