Welcome to the APBWeb.
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By 213th
  • 1 Post By That Guy
  • 1 Post By Jks9199
  • 2 Post By keith720

Thread: Teen drunk driver who killed 4 sentenced to 10 years' probation because he suffered "affluenza"

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Teen drunk driver who killed 4 sentenced to 10 years' probation because he suffered "affluenza"

To the families of the victims, Ethan Couch was a killer on the road, a drunken teenage driver who caused a crash that left four people dead.
    To the defense, the youth is himself a victim -- of "affluenza," according to one psychologist -- the product of wealthy, privileged parents who never set limits for the boy.To a judge, who sentenced Couch to 10 years' probation but no jail time, he's a defendant in need of treatment.The decision disappointed prosecutors and stunned victims' family members, who say they feel that Couch got off too easy. Prosecutors had asked for the maximum of 20 years behind bars.
    Lawyers for Couch, 16, had argued that the teen's parents should share part of the blame for the crash because they never set limits for the boy and gave him everything he wanted.According to CNN affiliate WFAA, a psychologist called by the defense described Couch as a product of "affluenza."He reportedly testified that the teen's family felt wealth bought privilege, and that Couch's life could be turned around with one to two years of treatment and no contact with his parents.
    Texas teen Ethan Couch gets 10 years' probation for deadly DWI crash - CNN.com

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    HA! I literally logged on to come post this. Nice work Jenna!

Also wanted to post the following video. I've always thought that some of the stuff Dr. Drew does (Loveline, Celeb Rehab, Teen Mom, etc.) is a little hinky and doesn't send the right message. But I've never doubted that the guy knew his stuff. Watch him tear the verdict to shreds in this clip. I love it, and I have a lot more respect for Dr. Drew.

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/vi...ation.cnn.html
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

213th is offline Solipsist
    So give the kid who "suffers" from being handed everything on a silver platter a get out of jail free card? Now how is this supposed to teach him a lesson again? Unless it is that money gets you everything
    HudsonHawk and Policefan1978 like this.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    That'll teach him a lesson. "Kill four people and get away with it."

Drunk drivers everywhere rejoice.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Jackrabbit26 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    He will be back before a judge within a year facing new criminal charges. Just watch. Mommy and daddy will pay for the attorney who will come up with more lame excuses for his client's behavior.

I hope the four victims families are filing law suits against this rich kid and his parents. After all, it has come out in criminal court that the rich parents are partially responsible for this incident and they have plenty of money. I hope they have to pay out big.

That Guy is offline No one in particular
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    His negligent driving AND their negligent parenting = OWNED. The family that was victimized by him is still destroyed. Sick.
    IMGreat101 likes this.

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Charge both parents, therefore, with contributing to the delinquincy of a minor or an equivalent offense. And the victims's families -- they should sue the parents's and the kid's pants off.
    lewisipso likes this.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Judge Becomes Target of Criticism in "Affluenza" Case | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

On Tuesday, Judge Jean Boyd sentenced Couch to 10 years of probation and treatment, possibly to be served at an expensive California rehab facility that would be paid for by the teen's parents. Prosecutors had sought the maximum sentence of 20 years in state custody.

Boyd's decision has led to public calls for her resignation and an online petition on Change.org demanding that Gov. Rick Perry remove Boyd from the bench.

Under current Texas law, the governor can remove a sitting judge from the bench with approval of two-thirds of Texas House and Senate members.

Boyd, who previously announced she is retiring at the end of her term next year, declined to comment on both the sentencing decision and the calls for her removal when contacted by NBC 5. Boyd said speaking about the situation would be unethical.
    I can't imagine the pain that the victims families are going through to see that justice was not served.

Policefan1978 is offline Officer First Class
    This is disgusting Jenna. Something made me wonder if this was going to be another Chppaquiddick case.
    FTR Google Mary Jo Kopechne or Chappaquddick / Ted Kennedy
    May God be with you and your families as you Protect and Serve.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    The real moron is the judge. Somewhere , someone, is making some money on this. If I was the parent of any of the kids killed by this entitled POS, I'd be going after every cent that mommy and daddy have. Then, let's see Junior make it the real world.
    IMGreat101 and Policefan1978 like this.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by keith720 View Post
    The real moron is the judge. Somewhere , someone, is making some money on this. If I was the parent of any of the kids killed by this entitled POS, I'd be going after every cent that mommy and daddy have. Then, let's see Junior make it the real world.
    Keith720, I wondered I this myself. I heard on he news that he didn't know it was wrong to drink and drive or words to that effect. How could this be??? The media talks about the perils of getting drunk and driving In fact there is a radio ad about two girls who are diving home the driver is buzzed and as a result there is an auto accident and the girls are hurt.
    I concur that he is going to see what the real world is like without his mommy's and daddy's help. IN fact think with al of the publicity this story has generated the patients at the medical facility he is going to will know his story and will treat him akin to how the prisoners abusers and rapists are treated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    Charge both parents, therefore, with contributing to the delinquincy of a minor or an equivalent offense. And the victims's families -- they should sue the parents's and the kid's pants off.
    Thank you!!!!!! Bravo!!!! Bravo handshake and a salute via cyberspace.

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Policefan1978 View Post
    Keith720, I wondered I this myself. I heard on he news that he didn't know it was wrong to drink and drive or words to that effect. How could this be??? The media talks about the perils of getting drunk and driving In fact there is a radio ad about two girls who are diving home the driver is buzzed and as a result there is an auto accident and the girls are hurt.
    I concur that he is going to see what the real world is like without his mommy's and daddy's help. IN fact think with al of the publicity this story has generated the patients at the medical facility he is going to will know his story and will treat him akin to how the prisoners abusers and rapists are treated.
    Even the freakin' Simpsons and Family Guy have made it clear that drunk driving is dumb! How can you NOT get the hint? If that's the case... stop the train to lynch the kid. He clearly needs to be committed; he sure as hell ain't in touch with reality!
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    Even the freakin' Simpsons and Family Guy have made it clear that drunk driving is dumb! How can you NOT get the hint? If that's the case... stop the train to lynch the kid. He clearly needs to be committed; he sure as hell ain't in touch with reality!
    I don't watch either show, but I believe what you said.

Thread Information