Welcome to the APBWeb.
    lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

EMT suspended, then resigns after breaking rule to help 4-year-old

Stephen Sawyer of Ellenville, New York was a volunteer EMT and squad leader with the Ellenville First Aid and Rescue Squad until very recently. The 20-year-old man was alone at the squad’s Webster Street headquarter
    s on December 11th when he answered a call about a 4-year-old boy experiencing seizures. A paramedic was called and arrived at the child’s location in an SUV, then called in for an ambulance. Sawyer contacted the local Kerhonkson Accord First Aid Squad, but they were occupied on another call. The EMT spent the next 15 minutes calling for other ambulances but was unsuccessful.
    Sawyer had experience with driving ambulances in his job with Mobile Life Support Services. Feeling that important time was ticking away, Sawyer decided to break the squad’s rule, which requires ambulance drivers be 21-years of age or older, and take the boy, his mother and the paramedic to the Ellenville Regional Hospital. Sawyer told the Times Herald-Record, "I wouldn't have been able to sleep at night or go to school knowing there's a 4-year-old suffering."
    Despite attending to the suffering child, when the squad’s board of directors found out about the incident they voted 4-3 to suspend Sawyer for 60 days, revoke his title on the communications committee and his title of advisor of the Youth Squad. The EMT, who is also a volunteer firefighter and part-time police officer, was stunned by the board’s decision and decided to immediately resign from the squad.
    John Gavaris, Ellenville First Aid and Rescue Squad captain and board member, couldn’t comment about specifics with the incident saying that it’s a personnel matter and the suspension came after a “culmination of different incidents,” where Sawyer violated squad rules.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews/emt-suspended--then-resigns-after-breaking-rule-to-help-4-year-old-214525977.html
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

213th is offline Solipsist
    Hmm. Anyone should see that as a bad PR move...I wonder if there is more to this. If it were me, and that was the only thing, I wouldn't roll over and give up.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    I kind of suspect that there may have been other issues, but a lot of those volunteer fire departments are VERY political, too. But their insurance company may have put their foot down about the age thing, too... That rule certainly has an insurance company feel to it...

From the article, it sounds like the kid did all he could, and then took action in the best way he could in the circumstances. That's part of why I suspect there may have been other instances or issues (or just petty politics) involved in more than token discipline against him.

ETA: Just looked at the original article that goes more in depth than the Yahoo one. According to the rescue company's board, the policy isn't insurance driven. I got a laugh out of a comment that it's based on experience, but experience driving other ambulances or fire trucks doesn't necessarily count. Sounds more like a political issue.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Thread Information