Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito found guilty of murder again by Italian court

American student Amanda Knox and her Italian former boyfriend were found guilty on Thursday in the 2007 slaying of her British roommate, Meredith Kercher.It was the third verdict in the case for Knox, 26, and Raffaele Sollecito, 29, who were found guilty in 2009 of killing Kercher. That conviction was overturned two years later on appeal, only to have the decision later overruled.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The real question is whether the US will extradite her to Italy if asked?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Keep her here. European courts don't have the checks and balances like we do. Once found NOT guilty, that it. Ask Eric Holder, he'll tell you.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Apparently there wasn't any evidence that she was even there, so I'm confused.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but here are the events as I recall from the news:
    KNOX: Kercher's murder occured in Knox's (and Kercher's) apartment. Knox admitted to seeing blood on the floor, but Knox claimed she thought it was menstrual blood and she mopped the floor. Eventually Knox said she realized Kercher was not answering her room door inside the apartment so Knox called the police. Knox told police she was out all night with her (Knox's) boyfriend Sollecito, then Knox changed her story and said that she saw Sollecito have sex with Kercher and Sollecito may have killed Kercher. Knox was initially interviewed as a witness. Police say Knox was determined to be a suspect after her story changed, so they gave her their version of a Miranda warning and Knox gave a statement she was there and heard the victim screaming. At one point Knox also accused her boss Lumumba of being the murderer, but she recanted, and Knox was later found guilty of slander in a civil trial.
    SOLLECITO: To my recollection Knox's boyfriend Sollecito initially said Knox was with him all night, then Sollecito changed his story that after a date Knox left at around 9 PM so she didn't have an alibi the night of the murder. Sollecito's DNA was found on the victim Kercher's bra clasp.
    GUEDE: Another suspect Guede had apparently met Knox and Kercher at a bar or nightclub. Guede's DNA and bloody partial palm print were found on the victim's pillow under her body. Guede claimed she was clothed when he left, but she was found naked. Guede denied knowledge of the crime, then changed his story that he saw an unknown male stab Kercher, then Guede accused Knox of being at the scene and being the murderer.
    DEFENSE: Kercher's DNA was allegedly found on a knife. The defense argued that the DNA was not properly handled because it was found with a contaminated glove. The defense claimed the victim's DNA was not on the knife when it was tested a second time. The defense also argued that incriminating statements were made under duress.
    FIRST TRIAL: Guede, Knox, and Sollecito were all convicted at their first trials.

In the United States there are many examples of people whose original convictions were overturned on appeal, and they were convicted again in a retrial. In the US you may also be tried and convicted for conspiracy to commit an offense, even if you were found "not guilty" of the offense itself. Because of that I do not automatically think that the second trial was unconstitutional (in US terms) or that it would have violated our protections against double jeopardy.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Apparently, if you try 'em enough times, you can convict someone... I don't understand enough of the Italian justice system, but I have a feeling that Miss Knox won't be leaving the US any time soon... Some of the commentary I've heard on this is unclear on whether the US government is likely to extradite her.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Thread Information