Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO

Trooper To Plead Guilty In Crash That Killed 4

LAS VEGAS -- A Nevada Highway Patrol trooper who was rushing home for dinner will plead guilty to felony reckless driving in a crash that killed four people.

Joshua Corcran faces anywhere from probation to up to 30 years in prison.

Authorities said Corcran was driving 113 mph in his marked cruiser when he slammed into the rear of a Cadillac in February. Corcran was heading home for dinner. The speed limit was 65 mph.

Four people riding inside the Cadillac were killed. A 16-year-old girl who was four months pregnant with twins survived. Authorities said she was badly hurt but her unborn babies are said to be OK. The girl's husband was among those killed.
    http://www.wtov9.com/news/9257186/detail.html

BrickCop is offline "Shrinkage Proof"
    113 mph just because he was running late for dinner? Senseless.
    Why no, that's not a pregnant anaconda in my pants...why do you ask?

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    Total Abuse of power! Give others a bad name!

FishTail Guest
    Ouch! Self-inflicted black eye for the Blue Team

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    At least he is manning up to what he did.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu
    That means little to the surviving family members.

nitestokker is offline Banned

Angry

He's pleading guilty because he knows he was wrong and wants to get a lighter sentence. The judge needs to max him out, but since he copped a plea I bet he gets probation. If he does go to the pen, he'd better PC-up. The only thing those guys hate worse than cops is Chi-Mo's.

Look there is a lot of things i'll do for a good meal, but hauling butt and putting myself in danger or others is just plain dumb. Really makes you wonder, perfect time to bust out my famous line to those acting less then smart "Is your sugar low" have a nice day.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

And in case you don't speak Latin.......If you want peace, prepare for war.

I've been places, seen and done things that would make most cry. I've fought along side and against better men then most I come across day to day, i've put my life on the line more then once for things you take for granted and for those you have lost respect for. I don't tell you this for your pity or respect but for you to remember me.

Sheriff is offline Banned
    I'm glad to see people can discuss a subject like this on LEF...... for what it is. Without a lot of bickering and argument about "the cop did nothing wrong!"..... like would certainly take place on O.com.

If posted over there, the author would be accused of cop hating. Every cop over there under the age of 35 would say it was perfectly acceptable to race to dinner, even though they knew better and believed differently. And 5 new user names would sign up just so they could add fuel to the flames and watch it grow.

Now for my 2 cents on the subject..... as a Virginia state trooper told us in another forum very recently, this wasn't an "accident". It was a "crash", caused by senseless and reckless driving. While driving at such a high speed the officer knew the consequences. Therefore, after killing 4 people, I don't think he should be given one day less than 25 years in jail. That's my opinion and it can't be changed.

Those who disagree, please feel free to me.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickCop
    That means little to the surviving family members.

Don't get me wrong, guys and gals. It pisses me off just as much as you, but I would have been a lot more pissed if he had gone the story route. You know and I know that he could have drug this thing out for forever. I also agree with the max him out for a sentence. Same as everyone else, do the crime, do the time.

kdm0409 is offline ^ Female Deputy
    I agree with ya Sheriff! Suprised? lol

Going 113 mph and hitting something or somenoe is not an accident! It is a crash! He should not be let go with anything less than the max. He wasn't even going to a call, he was going to dinner! There is no food worth killing 4 innocent people for. Maybe he didn't mean to kill them, but he meant to go 113mph and break the damn law.

Don't take this the wrong way conalabu, but wouldn't you man up to it too? There is no doubt about it that he did wrong and he cant hide that fact. So, he really has no choice but to man up to it.
    It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.
    ______________________________ __________
    An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break.
    ______________________________ __________
    In vino veritas!

nitestokker is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff
    this wasn't an "accident". It was a "crash"
    I stick by my previous post and this guy should hang. On a side note, we were taught in Basic Academy years ago that we will refer to them ALL as "crashes" because "accident" implies that it could not be avoided. In every "crash" someone is always at fault. This maybe should be a whole new thread, just thought I would bring it up. Good post, Sheriff! I agree all the way!

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Big deal. He has little choice. The facts were out there in the beginning, I remember reading about this when it happened. Like others said, he's not being a man about it, he's trying to get a reduced sentence.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by nitestokker
    I stick by my previous post and this guy should hang. On a side note, we were taught in Basic Academy years ago that we will refer to them ALL as "crashes" because "accident" implies that it could not be avoided. In every "crash" someone is always at fault. This maybe should be a whole new thread, just thought I would bring it up. Good post, Sheriff! I agree all the way!

My dept started a crack down on police crashes about 15 years ago and it made a difference. You not only have to appear before a board that has cops on it, but a couple of civilians from our risk management division (separate from the police). Guys that thought they could slide started getting some tough questions from people who were trained in crash investigations. It ain't a witch hunt, if you weren't at fault, they backed you 100%, but you couldn't bullshit them either.

Everybody thinks they're a better driver than they really are, me included. I think it's just human nature. And I doubt there are any cops who haven't driven over their ability either. After we started the crackdown, some officers decided that it wasn't all that important to drive like a scalded ape to get to that bar fight that's going to be over by the time they got there anyway.

And I agree 100%, they're not accidents, they're crashes. Somebody had their head up their ass. I know I did every time I wrecked and it was my fault.

Police crashes are sort of a sore point with me. I've seen too many cops and civilians injured and/or killed from wrecks that were totally preventable. Too many officers don't realize the danger they're putting themselves and others in to get to that "hot call" where their arrival time really isn't going to make any real difference.
    Last edited by Retdetsgt; 05-23-06 at 12:55 PM.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt
    Big deal. He has little choice. The facts were out there in the beginning, I remember reading about this when it happened. Like others said, he's not being a man about it, he's trying to get a reduced sentence.
    Agreed.

Hard to argue anything when he's standing there caught with his pants down.

It's so frustraing to see a civilian (or cop) get 2 years in jail for involuntary manslaughter when and if they were doing something stupid to begin with.

There is NO excuse whatsoever for 113 mph going to dinner.

sflcop is offline They pay me to play 12 hours a day!
    Sheriff... as a cop who is under 35 and still an active member on O.com I have to disagree with you. Yes, there are assholes over there that would say it is cop hating, but not everyone. Now with that said, I agree with you about him getting the max. There is NO EXCUSE for his actions. 113 is insane, especially going to anything other than and Officer Down call. I am the first to admit that I drive fast (normally around 85 on the highway) but that is just about what everyone else is doing. 113 is a death wish.
    In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

sflcop@LAWENFORCEMENTFORUMS.CO M

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned

Curious minds want to know...

How did the Trooper manage to escape injury while crashing at 113/mph and killing four people?

Quote Originally Posted by sflcop
    Sheriff... as a cop who is under 35 and still an active member on O.com I have to disagree with you.
    Don't worry "kid" there are those of us over 35 who disagree with him too. He just likes to dismiss dissent by making sweeping generalizations.

2209 is offline Officer First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimebytes2
    How did the Trooper manage to escape injury while crashing at 113/mph and killing four people?
    You have to figure he is running 113 and I think the article put them at about 55 in the fast lane. So you only have 60 miles an hour difference. Both going the same way. I haven't worked a same direction wreck with that much speed difference, but I can tell you it is a different situation than it would be if they were going opposite directions and hit with 60 mph of closing speed.

Either way, and I hate to say this, but they were probably in a not so nice little junker and he was probably in a big ole crown vic. I'm sure they had to do their darndest to get him out of his car too.

A terrible thing to happen.

I for one will freely admit I have gone a little quicker on an occasion or two when I probably shouldn't have been going that quick. Reading this article puts stuff into perspective again though. Shame on me.

I feel bad for the Trooper because you know he didn't plan on doing that, though that doesn't excuse what he did.

I feel bad for the family of the folks in the other car who lost loved ones because of a mistake made by one of our brothers.

Sad situation no matter which way you look at it.

Good wake up call for us though the next time we are heading somewhere quicker than we should.

Quote Originally Posted by sflcop
    Sheriff... as a cop who is under 35 and still an active member on O.com I have to disagree with you. Yes, there are assholes over there that would say it is cop hating, but not everyone.
    Ahh, come on.

I'm talking about the obvious rookies..... the ones who consistently claim cops have done no wrong, no matter what tale or event is posted.... and the ones who adamantly believe in and subscribe to the "thin blue line" meaning officers lie and cover for each other no matter what the circumstances are.

I just don't see that kind of rookie posting in LEF yet. This subject alone proves that, IMHO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information