Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO

Charges Filed in Deadly Hit and Run Crash

May 22, 2006 - Charges were filed Monday against a Chicago man accused of hitting and killing a 4-year-old girl and then driving away. Maya Hirsch was laid to rest Monday after being run over while crossing a street with her family Saturday on the city's North Side. Michael Roth is accused of rolling through a stop sign and hitting her.

The suspect retained a lawyer shortly after his arrest Saturday. He did not allow himself to be questioned by police and has only denied involvement in the fatal hit and run.
    Police say they arrested the suspect at his Northwest Side apartment in the 7000 block of North Kedzie only 55 minutes after the Saturday afternoon accident. Fifty-seven-year-old Michael Roth listed the address on Kedzie when he registered a black Lexus that witnesses say hit a mother and her two children at Lincoln Park West and Belden before the car sped away.

"We looked at the car. There's some damage indicative of being in an accident," said Cmdr. Thomas Byrne, Chicago Police.

Four-year-old Maya Hirsch was killed by the impact that caused minor injuries to her mother and 6-year-old brother.

Hundreds of mourners attended the child's funeral Monday in Glencoe.

"It was magnificently beautiful. The parents gave such an amazing eulogy. I did not know Maya. I was friends with her grandparents. I felt like I really knew her," said Rich Goldman, family friend.
    At the accident scene Monday, police stepped up patrols and wrote tickets for several drivers who ignored the stop sign at Belden.

"I think it's an enforcement issue. The stop signs are there. The law says you have to stop at a stop sign, so I think we need to get after the police to start enforcing this," said Ald. Vi Daley 43rd Ward.

But Michelle Smith, a neighborhood activist and likely aldermanic candidate, says she believes more can be done.

"We also have to be responsive to those neighbors who want more crosswalks and speed bumps in this very congested and traffic-prone neighborhood," said Michelle Smith, community activist.

Police say Roth, who is unemployed, tested below the legal limit for alcohol, while the state crime continues to examine his blood and urine samples.

In Roth's statement to police, he claims not to have been driving the Lexus at the time of the accident.

"Roth's statement was to the effect that he was not out there with his vehicle. Now, having said that, we have independent witnesses, numerous ones that give us the vanity plate and description, and everything comes back to that vehicle and we have an identification out of a line-up," Cmdr. Byrne said.

Police also say they found physical evidence on the car indicating it had been involved in the accident.

The charge against Roth is a second class felony, meaning the maximum penalty for the fatal hit and run, if convicted, is three to 14 years in a state prison.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    Mickey the Unemployed Mope can't say he didn't hit her either, witnessess say that he had to know since the mother who was pushing a stroller and walking 4 y.o. Maya, ended up on the hood of his car, and Maya got pulled under the tires and he dragged her 2-3 car lengths.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

Thread Information