Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Stealing Gas!

Sheriff is offline Banned

Stealing Gas!

I have no idea is this is a true tale or not.

---------------------------------------------

But, a Mobile gas station owner in St. Charles Missouri, has purchased an ex-St. Charles City Police car and parked it at his station in an effort to try and curb gas theft.

Pretty cool idea.

THE FAKE POLICE CAR

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I can see that working....not a bad idea.

But, if it's an actual car, how much money are they really saving?
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    They used to hang horse thieves.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    The dept I worked for in the late 70s/early 80s used to have the midnight shift park "lot"cars at each of the banks in the city all day,went over 5 years without an armed robbery...

Cst.SB is offline Officer First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074
    I can see that working....not a bad idea.

But, if it's an actual car, how much money are they really saving?
    We're getting "gas-n-dashes" a couple times a day out of 20+ gas stations. At over $4US ($1.21L CDN) a gallon people people feeling like they are the victims.

We had hearings into the big oil companies gouging at the pump, and after another year of record profits, they oil company reps just laughed when asked the question, "how much profit is too much?". In short, there is no, "too much profit".

To answer the question though, I would think not more than a hundred bucks a week per station, if that. The bigger problem is the gas station attendants throwing themselves into harms way for someone else's profit margin.

Radar is offline We all bleed blue
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Makes you wonder how many people aren't observant enough to notice it doesn't say police on it. If it stays there and never leaves property, I'd have gone for the full graphics package.

Here my dept has a "Ghost fleet", a fleet of cars that will be driven to a set location and parked, sometimes for months at a time in the same spot. It works a little, but not for anyone observant or casing the place.

We had one car get "misplaced" for over a year with no one knowing what happened to it, until someone saw it with a flat tire in the shopping center parking lot and called to ask if we were ever going to come get it. Well the LT eventually made it out there, and a tow truck had to be called just because a set of keys for it could not be located.

My dept. can do this, but can't give us take homes, and occasionally even has a shortage of cars!!!

The worst part is, they still do this, and it's not effective at all because the cars get left there, in the same parking spot, for so long everyone becomes accustomed to them. If we were doing this by say, leaving a car parked behind a bush or guardrail on the interstate, on a side street to a major street with numerous reports of reckless and speeding drivers, in school zones, and the like, it might be different. Leave the car there so long everyone becomes accustomed to it and goes flying by unfazed, and then stick an officer in it for a couple of nights. Rack up a few hundred "I didn't know you were in the car"s and then abandon the car again.

Why they park them in the same spot and leave them there for four months or more straight in front of a liquor store, grocery store, bank, or gas station, i'll never know. We just don't think things throuh like we should, I guess.
    Here Speeder, Speeder, Speeder

"Oderint dum metuant" - Caligula

"How come you only call me when someone's dead?"

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cst.SB
    At over $4US ($1.21L CDN) a gallon people people feeling like they are the victims.

It's 4 dollars a gallon where your at?!?!

holy shit....

It's $2.71 here....
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Thread Information